APPLY NOW! Marketing Internship with the National Air and Space Museum
The Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia is our companion facility to the Museum on the National Mall in Washington, DC. Opened in 2003, its two huge hangars — the Boeing Aviation Hangar and the James S. McDonnell Space Hangar — display thousands of aviation and space artifacts, including a Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird, a Concorde, and the Space Shuttle Discovery. The Center also offers the Airbus IMAX® Theater and the Donald D. Engen Observation Tower, which gives you a 360-degree bird’s-eye view of Washington Dulles International Airport and the surrounding area. Udvar-Hazy Center is also home to the Mary Baker Engen Restoration Hangar where preservation of the National Air and Space Museum’s collections takes place. A glassed-in mezzanine provides a view of restoration projects in progress. Researchers will also find the majority of the Archives’ collections at the Udvar-Hazy Center reading room.
About the Position: Marketing Intern
This is a paid internship in the Office of Communications at the National Air and Space Museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia. The National Air and Space Museum’s Office of Communications is seeking one paid full- or part-time spring intern to support its marketing and communications activities.
The intern will:
- Obtain/expand knowledge related to destination marketing through work on advertising plans and development and implementation of a Museum program’s multi-platform marketing plan.
- Learn about outreach efforts to local tourism industry organizations by joining supervisor in meetings and activities with the area’s tourism and hospitality industry.
- Understand operations of a large-scale museum, both on a daily basis and for special programs through hands-on interaction with visitors, staffing of Museum and community events, and other duties as assigned.
- Develop skills relating to survey research by assisting with the design, implementation, and analysis of a visitor survey.
- Gain skills related to media relations as they pertain to a large, public museum by assisting/staffing media and documentary film/photo shoots.
Major or Academic Background: Ideal applicants are currently pursuing or recently attained a degree in communications, public relations, advertising, marketing, mass media, or tourism.
Location: National Air and Space Museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Va.
When: Late-September start date; internship will end in early or mid-December, or prior to intern’s exam week, if preferred.
Hours: This internship can be part-time or full-time.
Stipend: Full-time interns receive a stipend of $550 per week. Part-time intern stipends are calculated depending on the number of hours worked.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the application will close on Wednesday, August 23.
If you would like to apply for this internship, please email the following information to NASMInternships@si.edu with Marketing Internship in the subject line:
- One to two page Statement of Purpose detailing why you are a good fit for this internship and how it will help advance your academic and/or career goals
- Copy of your resume
- How many hours per week you are available to intern