APPLY NOW! Internship Opportunity with National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO)
The National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO) is a membership organization representing more than 2,100 colleges and universities across the country.
NACUBO specifically represents chief business and financial officers through advocacy efforts, community service, and professional development activities. The association’s mission is to advance the economic viability, business practices and support for higher education institutions in fulfillment of their missions.
About the Position: Research Intern
Department: Advocacy, Research, and Communications Reports to: Director, Research and Policy Analysis Status: Non-Exempt
The intern serves in the association’s Advocacy, Research, and Communications department, and works collaboratively with staff throughout the organization to deliver innovative, high quality programs, products and services for the membership and other stakeholders. The intern supports the association’s knowledge management function by coordinating the distribution and collection of NACUBO surveys, compiling and analyzing data from primary and secondary data sources, examining the initial outcomes of data and information collected by the association, and facilitating the completion of the analysis and dissemination of research results.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with other members of the ARC staff to develop and implement a research agenda;
- Search and review literature, web sites, references, and other resources for information and data to: contribute to the development of new research proposals; support existing research projects; and assist in responding to member requests for information;
- Assist with the management of NACUBO surveys and other data collection efforts using Web-based survey software and other data collection and analysis tools;
- Perform data entry, editing, and cleaning tasks that ensure the accuracy of NACUBO survey data;
- Assist in the collection of information from various published and unpublished sources (e.g., contact association members and partner organizations, federal agencies, higher education experts, institutional researchers, and others);
- Solicit advice from staff and outside experts and/or association members in the preliminary stages of data collection;
- Provide technical expertise on best methods for optimizing data collection;
- Prepare charts, tables, graphs, and PowerPoint slides that summarize the results of NACUBO research;
- Write articles for NACUBO membership magazine, electronic newsletters, and/or other publications;
- Use Access, Excel, and other statistical analysis software to manipulate and analyze statistical data;
- Organize and maintain research data and records, including computer and paper correspondence files, contact information, research materials, project notes, status reports, draft reports, and final reports;
- Provide assistance for the association’s annual endowment, tuition discounting, benchmarking research surveys, and other research projects as needed;
- Update NACUBO research Web pages and other online content;
- Prepare descriptions, abstracts and related information about research studies conducted by the association and external groups that are relevant to the association’s membership for the association’s communications products;
- Respond to various member requests for research-related data and information;
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Full or part-time student in a master’s or doctoral degree program at an accredited four-year college or university with coursework in higher education, business and finance, economics, statistics, or qualitative/quantitative research methods.
- Interest in issues related to higher education finance and policy.
- High-level proficiency with Microsoft Office Word, Access, Excel, and PowerPoint; working knowledge of statistical analysis software (such as SPSS, STATA, etc.) and Web-based survey software preferred.
- Prior work experience in using traditional library references, the Internet, and other primary and secondary sources of data and information in the conduct of research projects.
- Demonstrated ability to use data collection tools to effectively manage survey projects and interpret statistical data, charts, and tables.
- Excellent organizational, problem solving, and multitasking skills.
- Effective oral and verbal communication skills.
- Sitting for prolonged periods.
- Able to communicate with individuals by telephone, e-mail, and face-to-face.
- Working on the computer for prolonged periods.
- Some travel required.
- At times, may require the ability to lift up or move light to moderate weight.
Moderate noise level due to open office environment with high level of activity on phones, computers, and printers.
This position description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out those duties.
How to Apply
To apply, please click here.