APPLY NOW! Spring 2019 Internships with Democracy onAir
Democracy onAir, a nonpartisan and nonprofit 510c3 social enterprise chartered in Virginia, is developing and hosting the Virginia Elections & Government Hub. This pilot state Hub is a model for our anticipated launch of 49 other state Hubs by the end of 2019. The Hub is an online platform that provides a place where interested citizens can go for current information about Virginia city, county, state, and federal elections and government and have the opportunity to interact with candidates, elected officials and their staff, and administrators of government agencies.
About the Internship: Spring 2019
Primary internship focus in the next eight months will be interfacing with Virginia congressional members (and their staff) and state senators and delegates (and their staff). Tasks could include one or more of the following:
- Overseeing students curating Hub profiles of officials – updating content and moderating comments in posts;
- Coordinating the participation of officials in town halls and forums on campuses and assisting in the organization and production of these events;
- Facilitating officials & their staff with the production of regular video updates especially via “Aircasting” (i.e. using smart phones & accessories to easily, effectively, and inexpensively live stream on YouTube w/chat questions from viewers after updates – hosted on our Virginia Hub and shared with representative, government, and local media websites );
- Assisting with Hub promotion to local & state media e.g. newspapers and TV stations;
- Overseeing the Hub’s YouTube Channel, Twitter account, and social media sharing;
- Supporting the development of onAir chapters in colleges and universities throughout Virginia as well as monitoring Hub members and the efforts of city and county governments to participate in the Virginia Hub ; and
- Managing relationships with and accounting for Hub & District sponsors, advertisers, and donors.
- University students who want to intern with Democracy onAir for academic credit can apply now for the spring semester. Interns can participate through various university programs including government, communication, and video internship programs. Internships are mostly self-directed with regular in person and online meetings.
- Non-credit interns can sign up at any time and commit to a minimum of one hour per week especially as a Curator for one Virginia federal, state, or local profile. Interns can continue with Democracy onAir as long as the relationship with Democracy onAir is mutually beneficial.
Internships are unpaid. However, after the Hub implements its revenue model in the spring, interns will have an opportunity to apply for part or full-time positions with Democracy onAir.
The primary internship benefits beyond helping to reinvigorate democracy are intended to be career-enhancing: visibility in your field; potential contact with thought leaders, organizations, and potential employers; skill development in political communication and media; and career opportunities with Democracy onAir and other democracy promoting organizations.
How to Apply
Deadline to apply is 01/15/2019. Please send your resume and statement of interest to: Scott Joy, Democracy onAir Coordinator for Virginia – firstname.lastname@example.org
Read about other interns from George Mason University here!
To learn more about the project, see: http://va.onair.cc/