Join us for the 7th Annual Mason Nation 9/11 Day of Service on Wednesday, September 11, 2019
All Mason students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community members are encouraged to participate. We are excited to share several on-campus service projects for folks to take advantage of. The Day of Service will take place from 10:00am-2:00pm. All of our service projects are on campus. This year’s featured service projects include:
- Brother’s Brother Foundation: Join team members from the Brother’s Brother Foundation in making hygiene kits for their medical trip program.
- CRi Hygiene Kits: Volunteers will assemble hygiene kits for individuals in CRi’s transitional, residential and community-based programs. The purpose of the hygiene kits, will be to assist with basic needs, encourage self-care, and provide positive uplifting messages from volunteers. CRi clients include; individuals with mental health challenges and developmental disabilities.
- Hampton Middle School Husky Pride Project: George M. Hampton Middle School is a Title 1 school situated in Prince William County. Throughout the year, the LEAD Office coordinates various efforts for community engagement at Hampton Middle School including leadership development workshops, a teen night, and a large-scale leadership conference. We need volunteers to help create Husky Paw Pride Prints and include messages of positivity and encouragement for the students at Hampton Middle School. Paw prints will be on display in the halls and classrooms at Hampton Middle School.
- Innovation Food Forest: Help us weed and maintain our edible food forest. We will offer 2-hour shifts for students to sign up and volunteer for. Shifts will be from 10:00am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-3:00pm.
- Potomac Heights Organic Vegetable Garden: Help us weed and maintain our edible food forest. We will offer 2-hour shifts for students to sign up and volunteer for. Shifts will be from 10:00am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-3:00pm.
- President’s Park Greenhouse: Help us harvest lettuce, herbs, and other produce for Mason’s dining hall. We will offer 2-hour shifts for students to sign up and volunteer for. Shifts will be from 10:00am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-3:00pm.
- Operation Paws for Homes: We will be making small fleece blankets and chew toys for animals who are being fostered and currently being rescued and transported from animal shelters across the country.
- Rain Garden Clean Up: volunteers will help to clean the rain gardens in Fairfax Campus. Duties will include pick up and sort trash, remove weeds, and replenish mulch. Please dress in long pants, long sleeve shirts, and close toed shoes/boots. Gloves, trash bags, sunscreen and bug spray will be supplied.
- Women Giving Back Clothing Drive: Assisting Women Giving Back’s mission to “support women and children in crisis, and build their confidence and self-esteem, by providing great quality clothing at no cost.” To this end, we will be collecting donations from collection boxes around campus, accepting donations at the HUB Ballroom site, sorting contributions (by type, size, etc.) and boxing them for delivery to the Women Giving Back Store. There will also be an opportunity to sign up for future volunteer opportunities at their Sterling, VA location.
For more information about our service projects to volunteer for a project, visit: https://911day.gmu.edu/service-projects/. In addition to our Day of Service on September 11th, we will also be hosting a Service Fair on Thursday, September 12th from 11:00am-1:00pm. For more information about our Service Fair, visit: https://911day.gmu.edu/service-fair/. For more information regarding the Mason Nation 9/11 Day of Service, visit: https://911day.gmu.edu/ or contact Lisa Snyder, Associate Director for Leadership Education and Development at email@example.com.