APPLY NOW! Peer Mentor, Recruitment & Engagement with the GMU School of Business
The George Mason University School of Business invites applications for the position of Peer Mentor with the Recruitment and Engagement team. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Recruitment and Engagement team, within the School of Business, supports prospective and current students. The Peer Mentor will be working directly with the Undergraduate Recruitment and Engagement Associate, LLC program coordinators, and LLC RAs to support the Business and Entrepreneurship LLC’s residents. The Peer Mentors will serve as an additional resource to the LLC students, by providing guidance through attending LLC programs and encouraging meaningful conversations. Peer Mentors will aid in the transition for first-year students to campus and Mason’s policies and expectations. Some hours will be in the office, while others will be meeting and attending events with LLC students. Peer Mentors should also represent the Recruitment and Engagement team, School of Business, and George Mason in a positive light.
There are three positions available. The position is 8-10 hours per week, and may include some night and weekend hours. Hours are flexible to work around students’ class schedules.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support experiential programming for students within the Business & Entrepreneurship LLC and for the School of Business community
- Holds individual and group appointments with students for semesterly check-ins
- Maintain weekly contact with mentees (can be virtual or through other forms of communication)
- Meet face-to-face with mentees twice a month
- Submit reports to PM supervisor after face-to-face meetings
- Attend mentor meetings and trainings and monthly student staff meetings
- Meet bi-weekly with PM supervisor to review mentee progress
- Assess and evaluate programs provided by the LLC, as well as other initiatives offered by the School of Business
- Help build a sense of community by engaging students in campus events and local events
- Educate LLC students about the various resources available on campus, ways to get involved, minor academic support
- Assist with integrating the overall School of Business values into the student experience
- Current undergraduate student at George Mason University, with at least sophomore standing, in good academic and conduct standing
- Ability to handle sensitive and/or confidential information
- Knowledgeable of George Mason’s policies
- Excellent computer skills with working knowledge of all applications in Microsoft Office, electronic calendaring, and e-mail
- Must have strong interpersonal and organizational skills with excellent verbal skills
- School of Business student
- Demonstrated experience in a higher education environment
- Experience serving as a mentor
How to Apply:
Interested students should apply via Handshake by September 9th, 2019.