Mason Basketball Game

February 3, 2012

General

Over winter break, I went to my first Mason basketball game. They played Georgia State for first place in the CAA. It was pretty easy to get into the game, all I had to do was show my Mason ID and they gave me a ticket. I didn’t know what to expect. I did my undergraduate work at Virginia Tech and Cassell Coliseum held around 9,000 people. I was used to big crowds and I wasn’t sure what attendance the CAA would bring in, especially over winter break. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the Patriot Center filled with students and alumni.

The game was definitely entertaining. There were many lead changes and ties along the way. Mason was able to take the lead for good in the second half and pulled away to win the game.  The CAA has put many teams in the NCAA tournament over the past few years and is definitely a very competitive conference. It was interesting to see Paul Hewitt coach, because he was coaching at Georgia Tech during my undergraduate time. I think he’s a very good fit for George Mason basketball. Hopefully, I’ll get to see more games in the near future.