Government Panel

February 27, 2012

General

I was the moderator for the Ask the Professionals event last Thursday. My job was to make sure each panelist had a chance to talk and questions from the audience were appropriate.

I thought ATP was very informative and it allowed me to see what their jobs were like. There were a lot of questions about resumes and how do applicants stand out. It was interesting to see the recruiter’s or manager’s side of the process. The panel was good at giving advice on how to stand out from other applicants. The main message I took away from the event was how important it is to network. The panelists also talked about if you had a not so glamorous job, you should still put it on your resume because recruiters and managers want to see strong work ethics.

I attended this event because I am interested in obtaining a government job after I graduate. I thought it would be informative and it would give me a chance to network with some of the decision makers in the public sector. I didn’t know what the panelists would talk about before I attended the event, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was extremely helpful in my job search and they gave me tips that I will now use in my resume.

I think more students should attend ATP events. Mainly because it can help them in their job searches and it can give them a chance to meet some of the top executives. I have always heard, “it’s not what you know, it’s who you know,” and I feel that by attending these events, students will be able to get a leg up on the competition.