Meet Engineer Turned Developer MRED Alum Monjia Belizaire

May 21, 2014

Alumni

“MMonjia Belizaire Meet Engineer Turned Developer MRED Alum Monjia Belizaireason’s real estate program was the turning point in my career,” says Monjia Belizaire, Master of Science in Real Estate Development, Class of 2013.

As a Project Manager at Four Points LLC, Monjia is currently involved in the development of more than 450,000 sq. ft. of District office, residential and retail space. Projects under her watch include

• a 320,000 sq. ft. mixed-use development in the Shaw neighborhood to house the United Negro College Fund
  • a 87,000 sq. ft. warehouse rehab in Anacostia that will anchor a master-planned community, and
  • a Benning Road apartment site encompassing 71 rental units, fitness center and roof-top garden.

“As an architectural engineer, my work had been limited to construction issues,” says Monjia. “I enrolled in the Mason MRED program so that I could be involved in the entire development process from concept through property management. The results have exceeded even my high expectations.”

Indeed she is doing it all–due diligence analysis, financial modeling, project planning, construction oversight, building commissioning and property management. She also has become Four Points go-to person on sustainability issues—using knowledge gained in both her classroom studies and a Spring 2013 study-abroad trip to Japan.

“In the course of any one day, I can work with attorneys, architects, community groups and contractors, touching on multiple phases of development. I’m really applying everything I learned at Mason—especially those leadership and communication skills.”

Read more about Monjia’s current projects at Four Points here.

, ,

About Janet Palmisano

I am the program coordinator for the Masters in Real Estate Development at George Mason University's School of Business.

View all posts by Janet Palmisano