Engaging and Succeeding in Negotiations
How women ask for and get what they’re worth.
A transformative, 3-day workshop and supporting webinars to enhance your confidence and competence in negotiations.
Research suggests that men initiate negotiations about four times as often as women do. Why is this? Many women fear negotiation: they may be afraid of confrontation, unsure of their capability at the negotiating table, grossly underestimate their value, or fear damaging others’ perceptions of them. Even when women do negotiate, they often end up accepting less for themselves or their companies than men. And while women own about 40 percent of all businesses in the United States, they receive only 2.3 percent of the available equity capital needed for growth, with male-owned companies receiving the other 97.7 percent.
In a female-led program conveniently located at George Mason University’s Arlington Campus, you’ll identify the barriers preventing you from confidently engaging in and succeeding at negotiation. Participants will also increase their ability to generate creative solutions that better meet the needs of their teams and organization.
This conference will help you:
- Identify and overcome your own barriers to engaging in negotiation.
- Learn how to set negotiation goals and craft strategies to achieve them.
- Develop techniques to find underlying interests and achieve collaborative, mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Learn how to prepare for negotiations—starting with clear, data-based goals—that increases negotiators’ confidence, competence, and collaborative capability.
- Explore the latest research-based strategies for women to ask for what you want and deserve.
- Discover how mindfulness, positive emotions, and other techniques can reduce negotiation phobia and unleash creativity.
Take part in live negotiation role-playing to hone your skills and increase your confidence.
- Conference Agenda
Engaging and Succeeding in Negotiations is a three-day seminar that distinctively addresses the challenges facing women in negotiations through a variety of experiential, reflective, and peer coaching activities. The program provides participants with the skills to identify and analyze negotiation-based fears to enable participants in confidently engage in negotiations.
Day 1-2 — 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. – April 25-26
- Unpacking gender: differences that help and hurt and how to leverage them
- Preparation: Knowing what and how to prepare
- Identifying aspirations and alternatives
- Assertiveness, presence, and confidence
- Reading and responding to nonverbal cues
- Using mindfulness and yoga to overcome fears
- Addressing the imposter syndrome
- Use of technology
- Salary negotiation simulation
- Strategies such as packaging, advocating, getting small yeses
- Positive thinking and creative resolutions
- Participate in a series of live and on-demand, online programs to learn more and hone your negotiation skills.
Day 3 — 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. – May 10
- Live role-play sessions
- Your negotiation challenge: preparation, simulation, feedback, reflection
- Dealing with lying or unethical tactics
- Taming your emotions
- Resilience and self-care
- Meet the Instructors
Suzanne de Janasz, PhD has been teaching and conducting research in organizational leadership and negotiation for over 20 years, most recently as an endowed chair at Seattle University, and prior to that, at IMD in Lausanne, Switzerland, where she worked almost exclusively with global executives. An award-winning instructor who has taught on five continents, Suzanne’s teaching is informed by her research (e.g., mentoring, leadership, work-family conflict), which is published in top practitioner and academic outlets, as well as in global newspapers.
Beth Cabrera, Ph.D. is a writer, speaker, and researcher. She teaches strategies that enhance the success and well-being of leaders and their organizations. She has designed and delivered leadership programs for executives across industries worldwide. Her courses—on topics including strengths, purpose, mindfulness, and workplace well-being—help leaders create positive work environments where people thrive.
Read Suzanne de Janasz and Beth Cabrera's Harvard Business Review piece, “How Women Can Get What They Want in a Negotiation”
- Who Should Attend?
- Women in leadership positions
- Managers and mid-level professionals under pressure to improve performance
- Leaders aspiring to improve negotiation skills and outcomes
- Team leaders
- Project managers
- Operations directors
- Board members
- Why Should You Attend?
- Hone negotiating skills through a strategically selected combination of lectures, discussions, simulations, feedback, and guided reflection — delivered both in-person and online for maximum effectiveness.
- Connect with other leaders across industries, sectors, and contexts.
- Get the latest insights on negotiation for women from the fields of negotiation, gender, mindfulness, and positive emotion.