The 12-credit Graduate Certificate in Government Accounting in partnership with Kearney & Company is taught online and provides an opportunity for students to acquire education in the field of government accounting with a federal government emphasis. George Mason is uniquely situated in the federal government space. Additionally, courses in the certificate program will also help prepare students to sit for the Certified Government Financial Manager (CGFM) exams sponsored by the Association of Government Accountants (AGA).
Courses taken in the government accounting certificate program can be applied towards the 10-course master’s degree program.
In order to apply for the Government Accounting Certificate, applicants are required to have, at a minimum, a U.S. equivalent bachelor degree from an accredited college or university and have completed Intermediate Accounting (ACCT 331 or Mason equivalent).
Applying: Internal Candidates
- For students already enrolled in a graduate program at the George Mason University School of Business, candidates must submit a graduate certificate admission application to Mary Hayes Collins, email@example.com).
Applying: External Candidates
- Online application and application fee ($75)
- Transcripts from all colleges or universities attended. Each transcript needs to include course names, all grades received, cumulative GPA, and degree conferral information
- Goals statement: In no more than 750 words, tell us why you believe that the Government Accounting graduate certificate program is the best fit for you. Include information about your personal qualities, academic background, professional experience, and career goals.
- C.V. or resume indicating relevant work experience
- Proof of English proficiency for students who have earned their degree outside of the United States (either TOEFL or IELTS)
- Internet Based TOEFL (IBT) - 93 with no less than a 20 in any of the four sections
- IELTS - minimum overall score of 7.0 with no less than a 7.0 in each section: listening, reading, writing, and speaking
Click here for program application deadlines.
Please remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that your application is complete, including all references, transcripts, the application fee, test scores, and international documentation if applicable. Please note that we will acknowledge documents which are posted/emailed to us when they are processed rather than when they are received. All documents are non-returnable.
Graduate tuition rates apply for the Graduate Certificate in Government Accounting Program. Learn more about current tuition and fee rates.
The Graduate Certificate in Government Accounting program currently going through the process of becoming approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for Veterans Affairs Education Benefits.
As such, you are strongly encouraged to explore other funding options by contacting the Office of Student Financial Aid in order to find a more immediate, interim solution for financing your educational plans. Please direct questions to the Office of Military Services at 703-993-1316 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Certificate Course Requirements
Students must complete 12 credits from the following list to complete the Graduate Certificate in Government Accounting.
Required Courses (12 credits)
- ACCT 672: Government and Non-profit Accounting or ACCT 792: Seminar in Governmental Accounting (for students who completed ACCT 672 or equivalent in their undergraduate or other graduate program)
- ACCT 611: Advanced Managerial Accounting
- ACCT 742: Governance and Ethics
- ACCT 772: Federal Financial Reporting
A maximum of 3 graduate credits taken at another institution can be transferred into a graduate certificate program. Replacement credits may be taken from the elective courses listed above.
For more information about Virginia's Uniform CPA Exam, contact the Virginia State Board of Accountancy. We encourage all students interested in sitting for the CPA to submit their academic transcripts to the BOA to determine how many accounting and business credits are needed to be eligible to sit for the Uniform CPA Exam.