The Staff Senate faced its toughest competition ever for the Spring 2012 Outstanding Supervisor Award. More than 50 nominations for 32 supervisors were submitted. The Senate faced the difficult task of choosing among all of these very deserving nominations. Each supervisor was rated according to his or her ability to:
- create a pleasant and productive work environment
- listen to suggestions and ideas, and make all employees feel actively involved in the goals of the department and/or university
- perform all duties required of a supervisor in a timely manner
- recognize and reward superior performance
- be fair and flexible in dealing
- encourage professional growth
- act as an advocate for classified and non-student employees
This year, Pam Allen, assistant dean of Academic and Career Services in the School of Business, was selected as this year's Outstanding Supervisor. The nominations from Pam's staff were impressive. They demonstrate her commitment to fostering personal and professional growth, recognizing and rewarding performance, and valuing the opinions of her employees. The positive and collaborative work environment she cultivates earned her this honor.
The collection of nominations demonstrates how fortunate Mason is to have so many excellent supervisors. They were routinely singled out for their latitude, professionalism, ability to empower their staff, and listening to the ideas of others, no matter their rank. They were gracious when family emergencies arose, and generous when rewarding work well done. Tireless, dynamic, kind, selfless and giving describe this set of supervisors.