Apply to BS Status
Application to the School of Business' bachelor of science degree programs is in addition to the George Mason University's admissions process. After acceptance to Mason, students who wish to pursue a major in Accounting (ACCT), Finance (FNAN), Information Systems and Operations Management (ISOM), Management (MGMT), or Marketing (MKTG) must complete a separate application to the School of Business.
Initially, students entering the school are designated as "pre-bachelor" (BPRE) degree status until successfully completing the School of Business application requirements and obtaining acceptance into bachelor of science "BS" degree status.
School of Business Application Requirements
Acceptance into the School of Business bachelor of science program is academically competitive based on applicants' cumulative GPAs from all institutions attended. In addition, students must:
- Successfully complete at least 48 credits with at least 9 credits earned at Mason;
- Be in good academic standing; and
- Successfully complete the following application courses with a grade of "C" or higher (students are responsible for all pre- & co-requisites):
- MATH 108 - Introductory Calculus with Business Applications (or MATH 113 - Analytical Geometry and Calculus I),
- ACCT 203 - Survey of Accounting (or ACCT 204 - Honors Survey of Accounting)
- OM 210 - Statistical Analysis for Management (or OM 211 - Honors Statistical Analysis for Management)
- SOM 301 - Business Models: A Communication Approach
Students are responsible for the application requirements in effect at the time of application to the School of Business and should check this website for changes to these requirements. The requirements are not related to the student’s catalog year.
Deadlines for Application to BS Degree Status
Students should submit their formal application to the School of Business online before the deadline of the semester they are completing the requirements listed above. The deadlines are:
- November 1 for acceptance the following spring semester; and
- July 1 for acceptance the following fall semester.
- During the semester you are applying you can pre-register for major courses to be taken in the next semester.
- If you pre-registered for major courses and did not get admitted into the School of Business' BS degree status, you will need to adjust your next semester schedule by withdrawing from all major courses.
- Students are notified of the decision about their admission to Bachelor of Science degree status in the School of Business by email, or regular mail. Notification is sent by mid-January (for the previous November 1 deadline), or by mid-August (for the July 1 deadline). Also, changes in degree status can be viewed in the student online unofficial transcript in Patriot Web.
For more information about the application process, contact the Office of Academic and Career Services, 703-993-1880.