Finance Pre-requisite Chart (Fall 2015 and future) - pending.
The requirements for BS Finance degrees changed in fall 2015.
Students who started their degree programs prior to fall 2015 should follow the requirements in their degree evaluations in Patriot Web. They are also strongly encouraged to speak with a School of Business academic advisor to ensure they meet the appropriate requirements for their program.
Starting in fall 2015, students in the BS Finance degree program must meet all of the following new finance major requirements, major electives, and BUS 498 capstone course:
A grade of “C” or higher is required for all FNAN major courses. Completion of FNAN 303 with a grade of B- or higher is a required prerequisite for all finance required courses.
Finance major requirements (12 credits)
- FNAN 498 Contemporary Topics in Finance
And 3 of the following:
- FNAN 311 Principles of Investment
- FNAN 321 Financial Institutions
- FNAN 331/341 Financial Analysis, Forecasting, and Valuation
- FNAN 401 Advanced Financial Management
Finance major electives (9 credits)
Students may select any courses from the following list to fulfill the elective requirement as well as any other 300-400 level FNAN courses (except FNAN 300, FNAN 301, and FNAN 303).
- FNAN 311 Principles of Investment (If not taken as a required course.)
- FNAN 321 Financial Institutions (If not taken as a required course.)
- FNAN 331/341 Financial Analysis, Forecasting, and Valuation(If not taken as a required course.)
- FNAN 351 Principles of Real Estate
- FNAN 401 Advanced Financial Management (If not taken as a required course.)
- FNAN 411 Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management
- FNAN 412 Futures and Options Markets
- FNAN 421 Money and Capital Markets
- FNAN 430 Empirical Methods in Finance
- FNAN 431 Venture Capital and Private Financing of Startups
- FNAN 432 Fixed-Income Securities
- FNAN 440 International Financial Management
- FNAN 451 Real Estate Finance
- FNAN 454 Real Estate Development
- FNAN 462 Honors Seminar in Finance
- FNAN 491 Special Topics in Finance
- FNAN 499 Independent Study
- BUS 492 Undergraduate Internship
Capstone (3 credits)
- BUS 498 Capstone Course: Advanced Business Models
FNAN 498 satisfies the Mason Core Writing Intensive requirement. BUS 498 satisfies Mason Core Synthesis requirement.
Students declaring a second major in finance must complete the four required courses and two elective courses for the major. For course descriptions see the University Catalog.