Major in Accounting
Ranked among the top 50 bachelor's in accounting programs by College Choice, Mason's accounting program prepares you for a professional career in public, private, and governmental accounting. The bachelor of science in accounting provides a basic foundation of accounting and business knowledge in areas such as financial and managerial accounting, auditing, tax accounting and accounting information systems. Our program emphasizes the accounting profession and its role in business, professional responsibilities and ethics, analytical abilities, communication skills, and computer literacy.
We provide you with a framework for understanding why organizations exist, how they are organized, and how they create value. For example, as an accounting major, you learn how to identify and interpret relevant transactions, use sophisticated decision models to analyze information and choose between alternative courses of action, and implement decisions affecting a firm's investment, financing, and operating policies.
Accounting faculty mentors can provide additional information on a profession and career in accounting. You may also earn your bachelor's and master's in accounting in just 5 years with our accelerated MS in Accounting program.
Accelerated MS in Accounting
The Accelerated MS in Accounting is designed exclusively for high-performing students pursuing a BS in Accounting at Mason. Students can earn both a BS and MS Accounting degree in just 5 years, while working towards the 150 credits needed for the CPA requirements and becoming a more valuable prospect to employers. Learn more.
- Accounting students can record, analyze, interpret and communicate financial and non-financial information for users of such information in accordance with applicable professional authoritative literature
- Our students will be aware of the uses of technology in business
- Our students will be effective communicators
- Our students will be knowledgeable about the legal environment of business
- Our students will be critical thinkers