George Mason UniversitySchool of Business

George Mason University

Policies and Procedures

The School of Business strives to maintain policies and procedures that are consistent with those of the university, as well as in the best interest of our students.

If you have any questions concerning a particular policy or procedure, please contact the Office of Academic and Career Services, Room 008 of Enterprise Hall (703-993-1880) for clarification, or stop in during walk-in hours to speak with an Academic Advisor.

  1. Applying for Graduation

    Graduation is not an automatic process. Students should apply to graduate no later than the application deadline each semester. You must be in good financial standing with the university to receive your diploma. Learn more.

  2. Credit Overload

    The School of Business recommends that undergraduate students attempt no more than 18 credits in an academic semester and no more than 14 credits in a summer term. Students wishing to attempt more than 18 credits must submit a Permission to Overload form to their academic advisor.

    To be eligible for a course overload, a student must fulfill all of the following criteria:

    • At least a 3.0 cumulative GPA at Mason
    • Have completed all courses successfully in his/her previous semester with no Fs or incompletes (IN)
    • Complete the Permission to Overload form and obtain an academic advisor’s signature

    Freshmen and transfer students in their first semesters are not given permission for overloads as they have yet to establish an academic record at George Mason University.

    If approved for an overload, the student is responsible for adding the additional class(es) and paying for the related tuition by the official university deadlines. 

  3. Declaration of Major

    If you are not currently in the School of Business and want to switch to a Business major:

    • At least 2.0 cumulative Mason GPA
    • Must have completed at least one semester at Mason

    To Declare or Change a Business major (or add a second major in Business):

    • Complete a Change/Declaration of Academic Program form 
    • Contact the Office of Academic and Career Services (703-993-1880) to meet with an academic advisor who will provide information on major choices, required courses and advise you on appropriate classes for your next semester.
    • Submit the form to the registrar

    To change your major out of the School of Business:

    No longer pursuing a Business major? Check out the Business Minor. You may already have met some or all of the requirements.
  4. Declaration of Minor


    • At least Sophomore standing (30 completed credits) 
    • School of Business majors may minor in Business Analytics, International Business, or Entrepreneurship. 
    • Students with a non-Business major may minor in Business or Entrepreneurship.

    Process (applies to all minors)

    • Complete a Minor Declaration form
    • Contact the Office of Academic and Career Services (703-993-1880) to meet with an academic advisor who will provide information on required courses, provide the correct minor code necessary to complete the form, and (assuming your eligible) sign off
    • Submit the signed form to the Registrar.

    Important Reminders
    For All Students:

    • Students must achieve a grade of C or higher in all minor courses.
    • At least 8 credits of coursework must be unique for the minor and not used to fulfill other major, concentration or minor requirements. 
    • Students may apply a maximum of 6 transfer credits toward any School of Business minor.

    For Students in the Business Minor:

    • Students who have already completed relevant School of Business foundation or core course(s) shall substitute courses as follows and cannot receive credit for the equivalent MBUS course:
      • ACCT 203 for MBUS 300
      • FNAN 301 or FNAN 303 for MBUS 308
      • MGMT 301 or MGMT 313 for MBUS 301
      • MIS 301 or MIS 303 for MBUS 302
      • MKTG 301 or MKTG 303 for MBUS 303
      • OM 301 or OM 303 for MBUS 306
    • MBUS courses may not be used as substitutions for prerequisites needed for upper-level School of Business courses (e.g., MBUS 301 cannot serve as a substitution for MGMT 301/303, which is a prerequisite for upper-level MGMT courses).
  5. Grade Appeals

    You should first contact your professor to discuss the grade. If you are unable to resolve the issue with the professor, please contact the Area Chair responsible for the class. The Area Chair can explain next steps in the appeal process. If you are unable to identify which area is responsible for your class, please contact the School of Business Academic Services Office (703-993-1880).

    Please note that the School of Business handles grade appeals only for those classes taught by School of Business professors. If the course in question is taught by another department, you should contact that department for their grade appeal procedure. Also please note, that you may request that the School of Business Office of Academic Services delays imposing an academic suspension if the results of a pending grade appeal could change your academic status. An approved delay allows you to register while the appeal is in process. See Catalog Academic Policy AP.3.9.1

  6. Independent Study

    To register for an independent study (a 499 course in ACCT, FNAN, MGMT, MIS, MKTG or OM), you need to create a proposal describing what you will read, learn, and produce during this course. You also need to obtain a faculty sponsor for the course. If a faculty member agrees to be a sponsor, you need to submit the proposal signed by your faculty sponsor to the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs in Enterprise Hall, Room 008. If the proposal is approved, the Associate Dean will authorize your registration in the course. For more details click here.

  7. Laptop Policy

    The School of Business undergraduate program requires each student to have access to a portable computing device that satisfies the requirements listed below and can be brought to class as needed. Note that as technology changes rapidly, these requirements may change during a student’s time at the School of Business.

    Many School of Business courses require the use of a computer during class. These are used to learn techniques, practice applications, and access Internet resources. While most students have a portable computer or access to one, some courses require them during class, and due to the use of specific application, some courses have specific requirements. To address these requirements, a list of standard minimum requirements has been determined and will be reviewed annually. View the standard minimum requirements.

  8. Microsoft Excel Online Training (BUS 210 alternate)

    BUS 210 combines statistics with Microsoft Excel. For students who completed a statistics course that did not use MS Excel (or who did not take an MS Excel course), the School of Business provides an option to take an online Excel program. Students completing the online program successfully will be able to pair that with their statistics course to meet the BUS 210 requirement.

  9. Recommended Honor Code Sanctions for Business Courses

    Student members of the George Mason University community pledge not to cheat, plagiarize, steal, or lie in matters related to academic work. Violations of the honor code are taken seriously. View the recommended Honor Code Sanctions for business courses.

  10. Requests

    Study Elsewhere

    Please read carefully the School of Business Course Elsewhere Policy before submitting the appropriate Request to Take Courses Elsewhere form and documentation to Office of Academic and Career Services, Room 008 of Enterprise Hall.

    Change of Final Exam

    If you need to change the date of your final exam for unusual circumstances or because you have three or more finals scheduled in one day, obtain the professor’s signature on the Change of Final Exam Request form and submit it to Office of Academic and Career Services, Room 008 of Enterprise Hall.

    Permission to Take Classes While on Suspension

    Taking time off due to a suspension is in the best interest of a student. If there are documented extenuating circumstances that affected your academic performance, you can submit an appeal to take classes while on suspension. You must view an online Academic Status Information presentation before submitting an appeal. After completing the online session, call 703-993-1880 to schedule an appointment with an academic advisor. Please note that permission to attend classes while on suspension is rarely given.

  11. Schedule Changes

    Late Add/Drop of a Course

    Students may add or drop a course on PatriotWeb until the deadlines as noted in the Schedule of Classes. It is the students' responsibility to be familiar with and adhere to these dates.

    If the last day to drop has passed, students must obtain the Dean’s permission to withdraw, which is rarely granted except in a documented emergency. Students should complete the Enrollment Adjustment Form and Academic Status Form, which requires the instructor’s signature. Submit the forms with supporting documentation to Office of Academic and Career Services, Room 008 of Enterprise Hall. This procedure applies to all School of Business students regardless of whether or not the course is a School of Business course.

    If the last day to add has passed, students wishing to add a non-School of Business course in which seats are available should contact the department teaching the course. For School of Business courses, students should complete the Enrollment Adjustment Form and attach a letter of explanation detailing why the registration did not occur during normal registration. You will also need to submit an Academic Status Form, which requires the instructor’s signature and verification of attendance. All documentation must be submitted to Office of Academic and Career Services, Room 008 of Enterprise Hall, for the Assistant Dean’s review.

    Changing from Credit to Audit

    The Course Audit form requires the instructor’s signature and must be submitted to the Registrar by the last day to drop as set forth in the Schedule of Classes. School of Business approval is not required.

  12. Selective Withdrawal

    Undergraduate students enrolled in degree programs are eligible to withdraw from a limited number of classes without Dean’s approval and at the student’s own discretion. Students may process a maximum of three such selective withdrawals during their entire undergraduate career at Mason. Learn more.

  13. Waitlist Procedure

    Other than graduating seniors in their last semester, students cannot be "force added" into School of Business courses. If a class is full, you can put yourself on the waitlist. Check the registrar’s site for the university waitlisting instructions.

    The School of Business handles waitlisting and force adds differently than other departments. If you are a graduating senior this coming semester and need a class in order to graduate, follow the School of Business waitlist procedure: Summer 2016 graduates or Fall 2016 graduates.