BUSINESS MASTER'S PROGRAMS BLOG

Meet MBA Student Yamu Cham

MBA Program Student Yamu ChamMBA program student Yamu Cham will be graduating from the MBA Program program in June 2017. She is currently an enterprise business resiliency professional at Freddie Mac. With an undergraduate degree in international business, Cham looked to come to Mason to expand on her skills.

We caught up with Yamu prior to graduation so she could share some of the reasons why she chose to pursue her MBA at Mason and how it has been helping her in her current position.

Here’s what she had to say.

Why did you choose to get your MBA? What were some of the reasons you chose Mason for your MBA?
The job market is pretty competitive and in order to stand out and take my career to the next level, I felt like I needed to push myself a little further. Getting my MBA was a decision I made so that I could enhance my skills, learn new ones, and to help me open doors in my career that otherwise might not have been available without an MBA. I come from a single parent household and it was very tough but, my mom always told us to be sure we get an education so we can have a better life. So, I did it to make my mom proud and also to set a good example for my younger siblings as well as others in a not so fortunate position that 1) it can be done with hard work and 2) how far a good education can take you.

What has been the biggest surprise about your MBA experience so far?
In addition to the MBA, I am also obtaining a certificate in Business Analytics. Part of the requirements for that was taking data mining courses. When I decided to go for the certificate, I saw it as “nice to have” but one of the biggest surprises was coming to the realization that I actually like data mining/analytics. This is an area I will look into a bit more and see where it takes me.

How have your MBA courses/experiences impacted your current job?
From the beginning of the program, I have been getting more opportunities to take on more high level work and now that I am just finishing up, I have just been assigned to manage my first project which is part of a larger program within my company.

In what areas are you hoping the MBA will impact you from a skills or knowledge perspective?
My hope moving forward is to do more self-study to nurture my data analytics skills. It has definitely peeked my interest and I plan on investing some time into enhancing myself in that area.

What does the future hold for you when you graduate? What are your career goals?
Upon getting my degree, I plan on continuing to work hard both at my company as well as outside. My hope/plan is to start my own business.

What would you say to people looking to get an MBA?
I would say “Go for It!” It takes a lot of work especially with a full-time job, but it is well worth it. I can see a different level of respect that people have for me when they hear that I am getting my MBA from George Mason University. Getting my MBA has definitely boosted my confidence and also the confidence others have in me in knowing that I can get the job done.

Located in the metro Washington, D.C., area, George Mason’s MBA Program prepares the next generation of business leaders through a rigorous, stimulating business and management curriculum based on a global perspective, industry demand, and leadership. It prepares MBA graduates with the skills they need to pursue the careers they want.

Mason’s MBA program is ranked #53 on the “Best Part-time MBA” list by U. S. News & World Report. Dedicated career services staff offers personalized career consulting services to students during the MBA program and alumni after graduation.

Download the MBA eBook titled 5 Things You Need in an MBA Program today for more information.

Tags:

Trackback from your site.