Subscribe:

MS in Real Estate Development Student Hits the Road as Delta Intern

For several weeks this summer, Google Maps was Rushabh Shah’s best friend.

Shah

“I couldn’t have had a better learning experience in terms of understanding the local submarkets and regional demographics,” said Rushabh. “I also learned a lot about how to assess a development project–how to calculate what’s important and what’s not.”

Finishing up his first year in the Mason MS in Real Estate Development (MRED) program, Rushabh was selected from a competitive pool of applicants for a summer internship at Delta Associates, one of the leading real estate market research firms in the DC region.  Soon after his arrival, he hit the road, visiting more than 60 state-of-the-art apartment properties that had been entered in Delta’s 18th Annual Multifamily Awards for Excellence competition.

From Ashburn to Odenton, Rushabh had a front row vantage point, surveying and assessing the best of the National Capital Region’s multifamily market.  A native of Ahmedabad, India, he’d heard all the names in class—Tysons, Old Town, Brookland, NoMa, Penn Quarter.  Now he can tell you exactly how those markets are leasing, what amenities and features are critical to a property’s success in those arenas and what maximizes return on a development investment.

Among the stops that impressed him the most was EYA’s The Oronoco on the waterfront in Alexandria.  “As soon as I can afford it, I’m there,” he says.

It may not be long.  Known among his classmates for his energetic, outgoing nature, Rushabh brought a civil engineering degree and work as a project manager for a highly regarded Indian development firm to the MRED program at Mason.

“I came to Mason to change my line of progression,” he says. “I didn’t want to take small, incremental steps; I wanted to make the leap to the development side of the business.”

For now, Rushabh has completed his report to the Multifamily Awards judges and has been asked to return to Delta this fall as a researcher.  He will complete his MS in Real Estate Development degree in May 2015.

Says MRED Program Director Bob Wulff: “I think we’ve discovered a true real estate developer inside a civil engineer in Rushabh.  The Mason MRED program has been the right place to bring out his hidden talents.”

Tags: , ,

Trackback from your site.

Janet Palmisano

Janet Palmisano is a member of the Recruiting and Admissions team at the George Mason University School of Business.