Subscribe:

Why I Chose Mason for my Cyber Security Masters Degree

One of the best ways to learn about the quality of a cyber security masters degree is to hear directly from the students and alumni from the program.

What made you choose George Mason for your cyber security masters degree (MS in Management of Secure Information Systems)?

I chose the GMU cyber security degree for a few reasons:

1. world-class faculty with knowledge of industry practices and vast networking capabilities
    2. proximity to my house (5 miles door to door)
    3. Mason has one of the only cyber security masters degree in the DC area
    4. the value of a George Mason University degree as compared to other business schools in the DC area

-Nick Kaywork MSIS ’13

How would you describe Mason to someone who isn’t familiar with the university?

The university is very involved in the community and pulse of the national and international political arena as well as research and development. -Ashley Pyles MSIS ’13

What, in your opinion, sets Mason’s program apart as a top cyber security program?

What set Mason apart as a top cyber security program was that the professors had real-life experience and were still actively involved in the cyber security industry. When giving a lecture, it was more of a conversation than a story being told about the past. –Ashley Pyles MSIS ’13

What most surprised you about the cyber security degree?

What surprised me was the lasting connections I made with my cohort and professors. My classmates are not only professional resources but great friends as well. We mentor each other and helped each other grow in life and the program. -Ashley Pyles MSIS ’13

The most rewarding experience and the most surprising one was the value of the cohort model of learning. I underestimated how important working with the same 30 people would be, as we grew from individual learners focused on the professor and books to a group dedicated to learning from each other, as well. In my class alone, we had students with work experience ranging from 2 years to 30 years that were engineers, program managers, military, civilian, US citizens and international students, coders, and special forces operatives. The range of experience and strengths in the cohort made for lively discussion and lasting professionally beneficial networks. -Nick Kaywork MSIS ’13

Tags: , ,

Trackback from your site.

Mary Crowson

Mary Crowson is a program operations specialist for the Research Partnerships and Grants Initiative within George Mason's School of Business.