Subscribe:

Cyber Security Programs Address Leadership Gap

There is an evident cyber security leadership gap throughout the corporate world. Reports show that only 66% of Forbes Global 2000 companies have full-time personnel in key roles for privacy and security (CISO/CSO/CPO/CRO), and corporate boards and senior management are lagging in establishing key positions in these areas. One reason for this gap appears to be a lack of highly qualified candidates—management and leadership skills, plus technology expertise and policy awareness. Cyber security programs produce the qualified candidates needed to fill this leadership gap.

George Mason has received a National Science Foundation grant to work with industry and government to identify the CISO core competencies that should be taught in a cyber security. The establishment of standard learning goals for cyber security management education across the country will also help to address the cyber leadership gap. Mason’s MS in Management of Secure Information Systems is at the forefront of cyber security program development and education.

“George Mason was the first university I discovered that offered the type of master’s degree I had been searching 10+ years for. I never wanted a master’s degree based entirely upon business. Likewise, I never wanted a master’s degree based entirely upon the technical aspects of cyber security. I was always wanting a degree that not only bridged but tightly coupled both disciplines. With the George Mason [cyber security management] program, I’ve gotten this and more.” – Darrin Moran ’14, Senior Systems Engineer, New River Systems

“Many other programs I looked at approached the issue from a technical or business or policy level. Mason’s program provides the perfect combination of technical, business and policy education under a single well-conceptualized approach.” – Charlie Pratt ’13, Owner and Managing Consultant, Bitscope Consulting

George Mason’s MS in Management of Secure Information Systems is a cyber security program providing a path to enhance professionals in the cyber security field and put them at the forefront of addressing cyber security challenges. This cyber security masters program provides students with the leadership and management expertise needed while addressing the specific technology and policy challenges of modern information systems and networks.  This cross-disciplinary program draws on the expertise of faculty members within the School of Business, School of Public Policy, and Volgenau School of Engineering.

Download the complete e-book titled “The Cyber Security Leadership Gap: Higher Ed Meets the Challenge” for a more in-depth look at this topic.

Tags: ,

Trackback from your site.

Jackie Buchy

Since 2011, I have served as the assistant dean for graduate enrollment at George Mason University's School of Business. In my role, I work with prospective graduate students to identify and select the best graduate program to meet their career goals.