What Sets Mason’s Cyber Security Degree Apart from Other Programs?
According to George Mason cyber security professor, Angelos Stavrou, Mason’s is a trendsetter with its forward-thinking cyber security degree.
Mason’s graduates are in demand and are actively recruited by federal, state, and local governments, private sector and academia. Typical employers include Internet-based, software, and financial companies.
Stavrou shared the following factors that set Mason’s cyber security degree apart from other MS in Cyber Security programs.
- World-Class Faculty – Our faculty members are renowned researchers and publish extensively in their areas of expertise—whether it’s cyber security, networking, enterprise security and privacy, decision making, technology management or critical infrastructure protection. Most of our instructors have achieved international renown because of their ground-breaking work.
- Leading-Edge Research – Our deep connections in the local and global cyber security communities position us at the forefront of cyber security education. The National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security have designated George Mason as a National Center of Academic Excellence in education and research, an honor of great value in the security profession.
- Practical Relevance – Mason’s proximity to Washington, D.C., makes it a natural center of the cyber security hub. Our academic instruction has a research to practice mindset. Our partnerships with government and industry have helped our students and faculty take products from the academic research setting to the marketplace. Our MS in Cyber Security students and faculty have launched several small businesses.
- Cross-Disciplinary Degrees – The cyber security industry is no longer focused on technical expertise alone; it has moved from the back office to the boardroom, and security leaders need to manage the business impact of security incidents. Our cyber security degree incorporates management and policy aspects with IT security expertise to position graduates in leadership roles within organizations. We are creating the next generation of CIOs and CISOs.
- Experienced Students – Students are mid-career professionals who are actively engaged in the technical fields. For our MS in Cyber Security program specifically, the students have full-time jobs and meet for in-class sessions on Saturdays. These experienced executives are part of an educational cohort that moves through the program in 16 months. They rank the peer-to-peer networking as one of the greatest benefits of the program and often point to the team-based capstone project that enables students to take on the role of a CISO to address a major cybersecurity challenge.
- International Opportunities – Our cyber security degree cultivates an invaluable global perspective—and a rich appreciation for other cultures and points-of-view—through a 10-day global residency. Additionally, our program is a founding partner in the International Academy of CIO which is actively engaged in international cybersecurity issues.
Portions of this document have been previously published by Universities.com.
George Mason’s MS in Management of Secure Information Systems is a cyber security masters degree providing a path to enhance professionals in the cyber security field and put them at the forefront of addressing cyber security challenges. This cyber security masters program provides students with the leadership and management expertise needed while addressing the specific technology and policy challenges of modern information systems and networks. This cross-disciplinary program draws on the expertise of faculty members within the School of Business,Schar School of Policy and Government, and Volgenau School of Engineering.Open modal
Trackback from your site.