MS in Management FAQ
George Mason’s Masters in Management program is ranked #16 by The Financial Engineer. Completed in only 11 months, the program offers the professional development experience needed to make you marketable to potential employers and provide business management skills to quickly advance your career.
The MS in Management uses a cohort structure, and classes are offered on the Arlington campus. Applicants are recent bachelor’s degree graduates (liberal arts, science or engineering) with less than two years of professional experience who are interested in gaining a foundation in business management principles.Below are answers to frequently asked questions about our masters in management program. If you have additional questions, please call us at 703-239-2670.
- Q:Can I keep my full-time job since I will have classes only three mornings a week?
The MS in Management is a graduate management degree completed in just under one year (11 months). It is a full-time, intensive and demanding program. While you will attend classes just three mornings a week, you will need time outside the classroom to complete projects and an internship. We do not advise students to work full-time while attending the program.
- Q:Can undergraduate business majors apply to the MS in Management program?
If you are interested in the MS in Management degree but have earned a bachelor's degree in business, we encourage you to speak with one of our admissions specialists at 703-239-2670 to discuss your options and find the best fit for you. The School of Business has many program offerings, and we can work with you to find the best degree program based on your background and career goals.
- Q:Do I have to take the GMAT or GRE?
While an official GMAT or GRE score is part of the Masters in Management application process, the GMAT/GRE requirement may be waived based on your undergraduate cumulative GPA. Please contact an admissions specialist at 703-993-8006 for a consultation.
- Q:Do I need an undergraduate degree in business?
No. George Mason's MS in Management program is designed for recent graduates from any major or discipline, especially those from engineering, science, or liberal arts majors. You will learn business fundamentals along with leadership, teamwork, and analytical skills.
- Q:How can a masters in management help my career?
No matter your career interests, the business skills and knowledge you will gain in the MS in Management courses combined with your undergraduate degree provide you with a diverse skillset that makes you attractive to a range of employers.
Whether you choose to pursue careers in management, run your own business, or follow a career path aligned with your undergraduate major, a masters in management can pave the way for quick advancement.
- Q:How long does it take to complete Mason's MS in Management Masters program?
George Mason's MS in Management program is completed in less than a year (11 months). You start classes in the fall (August) and complete the program the following summer (June).
- Q:What housing options are available near the Arlington campus?
We've put together a helpful guide to housing near our Arlington campus. Download the Arlington Campus Housing Guide.
- Q:What is the difference between the MS in Management and MBA programs?
While both the Masters of Management and MBA programs are graduate business degrees, the MS in Management is for recent college graduates (2 years or less work experience) and the MBA program requires a minimum of 2 years of professional experience (with students averaging 7 years of experience).
The MS in Management provides foundational business knowledge and skills for students without an academic or professional business background. The MBA program is for more seasoned professionals who can handle more rigorous and demanding courses and can contribute to the classroom learning environment by bringing their work experiences into the classroom.
Both program provide experiential learning opportunities and require a global residency.
- Q:What math classes should I take before I enter the program?
We recommend that applicants have completed at least a college level calculus program before applying to the MS in Management.
- Q:Will I be able to transfer any MS in Management (MSM) course credits to another program at the School of Business?
Yes. The University’s Reduction of Credit Policy (AP. 6.5.2) allows students to apply 21 credits from a prior degree to a new degree. Students who finish their MSM degree and are admitted to the GMU MBA Program (see MBA program for admission requirements) will be able to apply up to 21 MSM course credits to the MBA course credit requirements. Only courses with grades of B or better will be able transfer.
The following MS in Management course credits may be applied to the MBA program:
- BMGT 603 Economics for Successful Firm Management
- BMGT 612 Performance Evaluation through Cost Management
- BMGT 613 Financial Reporting and Firm Analysis
- BMGT 643 Marketing and Firm Performance
- BMGT 653 Fundamentals of Behavior in Organizations
- BMGT 692 Professional Development Experience (Internship)
- BMGT 695 Global Business Perspectives (Global Residency)