International Degree Holders
Mason requires applicants to demonstrate English proficiency for admission consideration, regardless of citizenship. Depending on where your highest degree was earned, you will need to meet the following requirements (in addition to the standard program requirements):
- English Proficiency (TOEFL or IELTS)
The TOEFL or IELTS exams can be used to meet this requirement. The university will not accept English-proficiency examination scores that are more than two years old. All scores must be sent directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions from the testing agency.
Test score requirements for the TOEFL are as follows:
- 93 overall with no less than a 20 in any of the four sections
- In order to submit your scores, please use institution code 5827. Please do NOT enter a department code as this can delay your scores
Test score requirements for IELTS are as follows:
- A minimum of 7 overall, with at least 7 in each subsection
- To submit IELTS scores please have the agency send your official scores to the address below:
Office of Graduate Admissions
George Mason University
4400 University Drive
Mail Stop Number 4C8
Fairfax, VA 22030
An English wavier will be provided for applicants who hold a conferred bachelor’s degree or higher from a U.S. college or university accredited by a Mason-recognized U.S. institutional accrediting agency or recognized university in:
- Canada (excluding province Quebec)
- Commonwealth Caribbean (Antigua & Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago)
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand
Learn more about English Proficiency.
- Transcripts/ Diploma
- An earned baccalaureate degree from an institution of higher education accredited by a Mason-recognized U.S. institutional accrediting agency, or international equivalent, verified from copies of unofficial transcripts uploaded to the online application Self-Service Center. Note: Due to admissions deadlines, graduate students are sometimes admitted before conferral of a bachelor’s degree. Students who are awaiting conferral of the degree will be permitted to register for their first semester. However, continuance in any graduate program requires an official transcript which verifies conferral of a bachelor’s degree.
- Copies of unofficial university transcripts and any earned degree uploaded to the online application portal from all universities attended.
- All transcripts from colleges or universities outside the United States must be translated into English and evaluated course by course by a NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) recognized U.S. evaluation agency to determine degree equivalency.
- The preferred evaluator is World Education Services International Credential Advantage Package (WES ICAP).
- Mason will provide evaluation service free of charge for all international transcripts. Because of volume, more time may be needed to process applications requiring a Mason evaluation.
- For information on international transcript requirements, go here.