The 15th Annual Behavioral Tax Symposium will be held in-person at Mason Square in Arlington, Virginia on Friday and Saturday, June 9 – 10, 2023. The goal of the Symposium is to bring together scholars working on current topics in tax judgment and decision making.
A unique feature of this Symposium is that participants may present research proposals in addition to completed manuscripts. This allows researchers to receive feedback on their theory and research designs prior to collecting data – the time at which feedback is most useful for researchers running experiments.
The Symposium will be a full day Friday (starting with breakfast) and a half day on Saturday (ending mid-afternoon). As such, please plan to arrive in the region Thursday and plan to either fly home in the early evening Saturday or stay in town to enjoy the city. Arlington is just across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C., and the conference hotel and campus are located on Metro lines that will take you right into the city. The program will offer sessions for both proposals and completed manuscripts as well as sessions dedicated to the discussion of future research.
Participation by both faculty members and Ph.D. students is welcome. The registration fee includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Friday and breakfast and lunch on Saturday.
Call for Proposals
Proposals will be accepted until April 22. Access the call for proposals here.
Doctoral Student Participation
To facilitate participation by doctoral students, doctoral students can register at a discounted rate of $100. Financial assistance to help defray the costs of lodging for doctoral students also may be available for those students whose schools are unable to cover the full cost of attendance. For information about financial assistance, please contact Anne Magro at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The full agenda will be available for download in early May.
Where to Stay
A block of rooms will be reserved for BTS attendees at the Hilton Arlington (950 N Stafford St. Arlington, VA 22203). Use this link and the group code GMUBT to reserve your room in this block. Block reservations must be made by May 10, 2023. The Hilton Arlington is a 3-minute walk from the Ballston-Marymount Metro station on the orange and silver lines and just under a mile away from Mason Square.
Other recommended hotels include:
- Residence Inn by Marriott Arlington Ballston (650 N Quincy St. Arlington, VA 22203)
- Holiday Inn (4610 Fairfax Dr. Arlington, VA 22203)
- The Westin Arlington Gateway (801 N Glebe Rd. Arlington, VA 22203)
- Hyatt Place Arlington (2401 Wilson Blvd. Arlington, VA 22201)
- Clarion Collection Hotel Arlington (1200 N Courthouse Rd. Arlington, VA 22201)
- Hilton Garden Inn Arlington/Courthouse Plaza (1333 N Courthouse Rd. Arlington, VA 22201)
- Comfort Inn Ballston (1211 N Glebe Rd. Arlington, VA 22201)
Arrival and Transportation
- Ronald Reagan International Airport (DCA) - 15 minute drive (7.0 miles) from Mason Square
- Dulles International Airport (IAD) - 27 minute drive (24.0 miles) from Mason Square
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) - 60 minute drive (40.0 miles) from Mason Square
Mason Square and the Hilton Arlington are metro accessible on the orange and silver lines.
- Virginia Square-GMU Station: 6 minute walk (0.2 miles) from Mason Square
- Ballston-Marymount Station: 3 minute walk (700 feet) from the Hilton Arlington
Obtaining Metro Card: To use the Washington, D.C. metro system (bus or rail) you must purchase either a physical or digital SmarTrip card.
- Physical SmarTrip Card: A plastic, re-loadable SmarTrip card can be purchased at a kiosk in any metro station.
- Digital SmarTrip Card: A digital, re-loadable SmartTrip card can be accessed on your mobile device by downloading the SmartTrip app.
Volunteer to Review
Submitted proposal and manuscripts are reviewed by two referees. If you would like to volunteer to help review submissions, please contact Amy Hageman at email@example.com. Reviewers are typically sent 2 submissions to review shortly after the submission deadline and are asked to return their feedback in 10 days.
Registration is now open!