Assistant Professor, Information Systems and Operations Management
Phone: (703) 993-1980
Office Location: Enterprise Hall 152
Office Hours: By appointment
Hang Ren is an Assistant Professor in the Information Systems and Operations Management Area at the School of Business, George Mason University. He has received a PhD in Operations Management from the School of Management at University College London. He also holds Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Electrical Engineering from Xi’an Jiaotong University. Ren’s research focuses on understanding how consumer behaviors influence an organization’s operations and marketing strategies. Ren has a broad interest in different business settings, including service operations, revenue management, retail operations, and he is especially interested in sustainable operations and healthcare operations. Ren’s research has been published in leading journals, including Management Science, Production and Operations Management, and Naval Research Logistics. Ren is a member of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS), the Manufacturing and Service Operations Management Society (MSOM), and the Production and Operations Management Society (POMS).
- Consumer Behavior in Operations Management
- Sustainable Operations
- Healthcare Operations
- Service Operations
- Operations & Marketing Interface
- Ph.D. - Operations Management, University College London
- B.Sc./ M.Sc. (combined) - Electrical Engineering, Xi'an Jiaotong University
Research and Awards
- Published an article titled “Opaque Selling and Inventory Management in Vertically Differentiated Markets” (coauthored with Tingliang Huang) in Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, Forthcoming, in 2022.
- Published an article titled “Hospital Readmissions Reduction Program Does Not Provide the Right Incentives: Issues and Remedies” (coauthored with Kenan Arifoglu and Tolga Tezcan) in Management Science, 67(4), 2191-2210, in 2021.
- Published an article titled “Consumer Return Policies in Competitive Markets: An Operations Perspective” (coauthored with Tingliang Huang and Ying-Ju Chen) in Naval Research Logistics, 65(6-7), 462-476, in 2019.
- Published an article titled “Managing Service Systems with Unknown Quality and Customer Anecdotal Reasoning” (coauthored with Tingliang Huang and Kenan Arifoglu) in Production and Operations Management, 27(6), 1038-1051, in 2018.
- Published an invited review article titled “Modeling Customer Bounded Rationality in Operations Management: A Review and Research Opportunities” (coauthored with Tingliang Huang) in Computers & Operations Research, 91, 48-58, in 2017.
- Received final list award in 2016 INFORMS Service Science Section Best Student Paper Award Competition, for “Managing Service Systems with Unknown Quality and Customer Anecdotal Reasoning,” in 2016.
- August 16, 2021 - McClatchy DC
President Biden’s Electric Car Order Doesn’t Make it Easier to Buy One. Here’s Why
- August 5, 2021 - The Washington Times
Consumer Choice, Free Market Biggest Obstacles to Biden’s Ambitious Plan to Phase out Gas Cars
- April 19, 2021 - MIC
Are electric cars actually better for the environment?