Associate Professor, Management
Phone: (703) 993-4768
Office Location: Enterprise Hall 224
Office Hours: By appointment
Matt Theeke is an associate professor of management at the George Mason University School of Business. He received his PhD in strategic management and organization theory from the University of Texas at Austin.
Theeke’s research interests include competitive dynamics, innovation and knowledge management. He is interested in how a firm’s competitive interaction with rivals affects the decisions it makes with respect to its innovation strategy. He is also intrigued by how a firm’s approach to managing knowledge and collaborative activities affects different types of evaluations made by internal and external stakeholders.
Theeke’s research has been published or is forthcoming in Strategic Management Journal, Organization Science, Journal of Business Research and Academy of Management Proceedings. Before earning his PhD he worked in Europe for Johnson & Johnson and General Motors and in the US for Hewlett-Packard and Ford Motor Company.
- Competitive dynamics
- Knowledge management
- PhD - Management, University of Texas at Austin
- MS - Management, University of Texas at Austin
- MBA, Michigan State University
- BBA, University of Michigan
Research and Awards
- Presented the paper titled, “Reconsidering Multimarket Contact and Rivalry: The Effects of Knowledge-Based Resources and Actions” at the Academy of Management Annual Conference in Vancouver, Canada in 2015 (with colleague Hun Lee).
- Nominated for a Teaching Award from George Mason University School of Business in 2014.
- Published an article titled, “Innovation and External Risk Assessments” in the Academy of Management Proceedings in 2013.
- Presented the paper titled, “Adoption of New Innovations: A Focus on Demand Heterogeneity” at the Strategic Management Society in Atlanta, Georgia in 2013 (with Mahesh Joshi).
- Presented the paper titled, “Multimarket Competition and Patent Litigation” (with coauthor Hun Lee) at the Strategic Management Society in Atlanta, Georgia in 2013.
- Presented the paper titled, “Innovation and External Risk Assessments” at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting in Orlando, Florida in 2013. The paper was also published in the Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings.
- Presented the papers titled “The Consensus Discount: How Analysts' Recommendations Influence Medical Innovation Firms' Ability to Attract Investors” (with coauthor Francisco Polidoro) and “The Influence of a Firm's Approach to Innovation on its Ability to Attract Analyst Coverage” (with coauthors Francisco Polidoro and James Fredrickson) at the Academy of Management Meeting in Boston, Massachusetts in 2012.
- Had the presentation titled “The Influence of a Firm's' Approach to Innovation on its ability to Attract Analyst Coverage” published in the Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings.
- Published an article titled, “Getting Competition Down to a Science: The Effects of Technological Competition on Firms' Scientific Publications” in Organization Science in 2012.
- Strategic management
- Technology innovation