Phone: (703) 993-1845
Office Location: 9900 Main Street 213 and Enterprise Hall 175
Office Hours: By appointment
Russell Abratt is a professor of marketing in the Costello College of Business. He joined George Mason University in 2019. He currently teaches courses on principles of marketing, sales management, B2B marketing, and strategic brand management in the undergraduate program and Marketing and Firm Performance on the graduate program.
Dr. Abratt's research focuses on examining issues in branding, corporate identity and reputation that have significant implications for marketing and brand managers. His research has been published in the Journal of Advertising Research, California Management Review, European Journal of Marketing, Industrial Marketing Management, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, Journal of Services Marketing, Tourism Management, and the Journal of Business Ethics, among others.
He has significant international teaching and research experience as a visiting scholar, having taught on graduate programs at universities in the United Kingdom, The Netherlands, Sweden, Australia, Italy, New Zealand, and South Africa.
- Brand Management
- Corporate Identity
- Corporate Reputation
- Marketing Strategy
- PhD - Marketing, University of Pretoria
- MBA - Marketing, University of Pretoria
- B. Com - Marketing, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
Research and Awards
Selected recent publications:
- Abratt, R. and Kleyn, N. (2023). The conscientious corporate brand: definition, operationalization and application in a B2B context, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, (published on line).
- Quaye, E.S., Taoana, C., Abratt, R. and Anabila, P. (2022). Customer advocacy and brand loyalty: the mediating roles of brand relationship quality and trust, Journal of Brand Management, 29, pages 363–382
- Mingione, M. and Abratt, R. (2020), How to build a born-digital startup corporate brand: Imperatives to become successful corporate brands in the digital era, Journal of Marketing Management, 36, 11/12, 981-1008
- Cullinan, J. Abratt, R. and Mingione, M. (2020) Challenges of corporate brand building and management in a state-owned enterprise, Journal of Product and Brand Management, 30, 2, pp. 293-305.
- Diba, H, Vella, J.M. and Abratt, R. (2019). Social media influence on the B2B buying process, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 34, 7, 1482-1496.
- Faculty of the year MSM, 2022
- Outstanding Professor of Marketing Teaching Award, George Mason University, 2023