Phone: (703) 993.8290
Office Location: 9900 Main Street 211 and Enterprise Hall 175
Office Hours: By appointment
Saurabh Mishra is a professor of marketing in the School of Business. He joined George Mason University in 2018. Prior to GMU, he was associate professor of marketing and Desautels faculty scholar at McGill University, Canada.
Dr. Mishra's research focuses on examining issues in marketing that are important for managers and have strong implications for marketing theory and practice. Specifically, he focuses on interdisciplinary themes that are at the interface of Marketing, Operations Management, and Finance. He also has expertise in areas of relevance for social welfare and policy making, particularly Corporate Social Responsibility and Healthcare.
Dr. Mishra has published multiple papers in high-quality journals including Journal of Marketing, Marketing Science, Journal of Operations Management, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Marketing Letters, and Journal of Business Ethics. He has also presented numerous studies at academic conferences in North America, Europe, and Asia and has been awarded research grants totaling more than $500,000 for his work. He currently serves on the editorial review board of Journal of Academy of Marketing Science and Journal of Business Ethics.
Dr. Mishra’s teaching interests are in the area of Marketing Analytics, Marketing Research, and Marketing Strategy. He has extensive teaching experience at all levels (PhD, Masters, Bachelors), as well as executives, and has taught courses in North America, Russia, China, and Japan.
- Marketing Strategy
- Marketing-Finance Interface
- Marketing-Operations Management Interface
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- PhD - Marketing, Kelley School of Business, Indiana University - Bloomington
- MA - Economics, Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi
- BA (Honors) – Economics, Sriram College of Commerce, University of Delhi
Research and Awards
Publications in Peer-Reviewed Academic Journals
- Mishra, Saurabh, Demetrios Vakratsas, Alexander Krasnikov (2018), “Protecting Positioning Innovations: The Emergence of Non-Traditional Trademark Registrations,” Marketing Letters, Vol. 29(3), 307-18
- Mishra, Saurabh and Sachin Modi (2016), “Corporate Social Responsibility and Shareholder Wealth: The Role of Marketing Capability,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 80 (Jan), 26-46.
- Modi, Sachin, Michael A. Wiles, and Saurabh Mishra (2015), “Shareholder Implications of Service Failures in Triads: The Case of Information Security Breaches,” Journal of Operations Management, 35, 21-39.
- Mishra, Saurabh and Rebecca J. Slotegraaf (2013), “Building an Innovation Base: Exploring the Role of Acquisition Behavior,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 41, 705-721.
- Mishra, Saurabh, Sachin Modi, and A. Animesh (2013), “The Relationship between Information Technology Capability, Inventory Efficiency, and Shareholder Wealth: A Firm-Level Empirical Analysis,” Journal of Operations Management, 31(6), 298-312.
- Mishra, Saurabh and Sachin Modi (2013), “Positive and Negative Corporate Social Responsibility, Financial Leverage, and Idiosyncratic Risk,” Journal of Business Ethics, 117, 431-448
- Modi, Sachin and Saurabh Mishra (2011), “What Drives Financial Performance - Resource Efficiency or Resource Slack? Evidence from U.S. Based Manufacturing Firms from 1991-2006,” Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 29, 254-273.
- Wiles, Michael A., Shailendra P. Jain, Saurabh Mishra, and Charles D. Lindsey (2010), “Stock Market Response to Regulatory Reports of Deceptive Advertising: The Moderating Effect of Omission Bias and Firm Reputation,” Marketing Science, Vol. 29 (5), 828-845.
- Krasnikov, Alexander, Saurabh Mishra, and David A. Orozco (2009), “Evaluating the Financial Impact of Branding Using Trademarks: A Framework and Empirical Evidence,” Journal of Marketing, Vol. 73 (Nov), 154-166.
Book Chapters and Conference Proceedings
- Malhotra, Manoj K., Ramkumar Janakiraman, Saurabh Mishra, and Moonwon Chung (2017), “POM and Marketing,” in M. K. Starr, and S. K.Gupta (ed.) The Routledge Companion to Production and Operations Management, Routledge.
- Mishra, Saurabh and Richard W. Olshavsky (2005), “Rationality Unbounded: Internet and its Effect on Consumer Decision Making,” in K. Machleit and K. Haugtvedt (ed.) Online Consumer Psychology: Understanding and Influencing Behavior in the Virtual World, Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Olshavsky, Richard W. and Saurabh Mishra (2002), “Similarity, Attraction, and Compromise Effects in Multi-Alternative Choice Situations: Towards a Unified Explanation,” Annual Winter Conference of the Society of Consumer Psychology Proceedings, R. Goodstein and J. Edell (ed.).
- Jeffery, Mark and Saurabh Mishra (2006), “SONY-FIFA Partnership Program: The Value of Sponsorship,” Harvard Business Publishing Case (Case # KEL195).
- Mishra, Saurabh (2009), “Retailing in Recession,” National Post (one of the leading Canadian newspapers).
Academic Honors and Awards
- Desautels Faculty Scholar – Endowed Fellowship (2014-2018)
- Li Ka Shing Faculty Exchange Award (2016-2017)
- Kelley School of Business, Doctoral Student Association’s Outstanding Associate Instructor Award, 2004 (recipient), 2003 (nominee)
- Indiana University Haring Symposium Fellow (Discussant), 2002
- Kelley School of Business Fellowship, Indiana University, 2000-2005
- College of Arts and Sciences Fellowship, Indiana University, 1999-2000
- CAS Scholarship, Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi, India, 1997-1999