Phone: (703) 993-1816
Office Location: Enterprise Hall 209
Office Hours: by appointment
Dr. Toyah Miller is a professor of strategy and entrepreneurship at the School of Business. She received her doctorate in Management at Texas A&M University, and before getting her doctorate, she worked as a management consultant for Ernst & Young. Her research focuses on four interrelated areas: entrepreneurship, innovation and change, international strategy, and corporate governance. Her entrepreneurship research explores topics on mentoring in accelerators, entrepreneurial networks, and new venture strategy. In addition, she has a strong interest in social entrepreneurship and inclusive innovation and is the Director of Research for Business for a Better World. She has published in such journals as Academy of Management Review, Academy of Management Journal, Organization Science, Strategic Management Journal, and Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice. She currently serves as an associate editor of the Journal of Management and on the editorial board of Journal of Business Venturing and Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal.
- Strategic change
- International strategy and corporate governance
- Social entrepreneurship
Research and Awards
- Krause, R., & Miller, T. L. 2020. From strategic leaders to societal leaders: On the expanding social role of executives and boards. Journal of Management, 46 (8): 1315–1321.
- Batjargal, B., Tsui, A, Hitt, M. A., Arregle, J. L., Miller, T. L, & Webb, J. 2020 National culture, women and men entrepreneurs’ social networks and new venture growth. Cross Cultural & Strategic Management, 26 (4): 490-521.
- Arregle, J. L., Miller, T. L., Hitt, M. A., & Beamish, P. W. 2018. The role of MNEs’ internationalization patterns in their regional integration of FDI locations. Journal of World Business, 53(6), 896-910.
- Arregle, J. L., Miller, T. L., Beamish, P. W., Hitt, M. A. 2016. How does regional institutional complexity affect MNE internationalization?. Journal of International Business Studies, 47(6): 697–722.
- Arregle, J. L., Batjargal, B., Hitt, M. A., Webb, J., & Miller, T. L, Tsui, A. 2015. Family ties in entrepreneurs’ social networks and new venture success. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, 39(2): 313–344.
- Triana, M., Miller, T. L, and Trzebiatowski, T. M. 2014. The double-edged nature of board gender diversity: Diversity, firm performance, and the power of women directors as predictors of strategic change. Organization Science, 25(2): 609-632.
- Batjargal, B., Tsui, A., Arregle, J. L., Hitt, M. A., Webb, J., & Miller, T. L. 2013. Institutional polycentrism, entrepreneurs’ social networks and new venture growth. Academy of Management Journal, 56: 1024-1049.
- Grimes, M., McMullen, J., Vogus, T., & Miller, T. L., 2013. Studying the origins of social entrepreneurship: compassion and the role of embedded agency. Academy of Management Review, 38: 460-463.
- Arregle, J. L., Miller, T. L., Beamish, P. W., Hitt, M. A. 2013. Do regions matter? An integrated institutional and semi-globalization perspective on the internationalization of MNEs. Strategic Management Journal, 34: 910–934.
- Miller, T. L., Wesley, C., & Williams, D. A. 2013. Educating the minds of caring hearts: Understanding social entrepreneurship competencies needed for practice and taught in the classroom. Academy of Management Learning & Education, 11: 349-370.
- Holmes, R. M., Miller, T. L., Hitt, M. A., & Salmador, M. P. 2013. The interrelationships among informal institutions, formal institutions, and inward foreign direct investment. Journal of Management, 39(2): 531-566.
- Miller, T. L., Grimes, M., McMullen, J., & Vogus, T. 2012. Venturing with heart and head: Compassionately creating value through social enterprise. Academy of Management Review, 37: 616-640.
- Connelly, B., Miller, T. L., & Devers, C. 2012. Trust, but verify: A model of individuated distrust and trust in interorganizational relationships. Strategic Management Journal, 33: 820-833.
- Miller, T. L., & Wesley, C. 2010. Assessing mission and resources for social change: An organizational identity perspective on social venture capitalists’ decision criteria. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, 34(4): 305–333.
- 2009 Best Paper Award – NYU Satter Conference on Social Entrepreneurship
- Miller, T. L., & Triana, M. 2009. Demographic diversity in the boardroom: Mediators of the board diversity-firm performance relationship. Journal of Management Studies, 46: 755–786.
- Certo, T. S., & Miller, T. L. 2008. Social entrepreneurship: Key issues and concepts. Business Horizons 51: 267–271.
- Hitt, M. A., Tihanyi, L., Miller, T. L., & Connelly, B. 2006. International diversification: Antecedents, moderators, and outcomes. Journal of Management, 32: 831–867.
- 2006 Journal of Management Best Paper of the Year Award
- Strategic Management
- Innovation Management
- Social Entrepreneurship