Additional Roles: Director of Research for the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Phone: (703) 993-1816
Office Location: Enterprise Hall 209
Office Hours: by appointment
Dr. Toyah Miller is a professor of strategy and entrepreneurship at the School of Business. She received her doctorate in Management at Texas A&M University, and before getting her doctorate, she worked as a management consultant for Ernst & Young. Her research focuses on four interrelated areas: entrepreneurship, innovation and change, international strategy, and corporate governance. Her entrepreneurship research explores topics on mentoring in accelerators, entrepreneurial networks, and new venture strategy. In addition, she has a strong interest in social entrepreneurship and inclusive innovation and is the Director of Research for the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship. She has published in such journals as Academy of Management Review, Academy of Management Journal, Organization Science, Strategic Management Journal, and Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice. She currently serves as an associate editor of the Journal of Management and on the editorial board of Journal of Business Venturing and Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal.
- Strategic change
- International strategy and corporate governance
- Social entrepreneurship
Research and Awards
- Krause, R., & Miller, T. L. 2020. From strategic leaders to societal leaders: On the expanding social role of executives and boards. Journal of Management, 46 (8): 1315–1321.
- Batjargal, B., Tsui, A, Hitt, M. A., Arregle, J. L., Miller, T. L, & Webb, J. 2020 National culture, women and men entrepreneurs’ social networks and new venture growth. Cross Cultural & Strategic Management, 26 (4): 490-521.
- Arregle, J. L., Miller, T. L., Hitt, M. A., & Beamish, P. W. 2018. The role of MNEs’ internationalization patterns in their regional integration of FDI locations. Journal of World Business, 53(6), 896-910.
- Arregle, J. L., Miller, T. L., Beamish, P. W., Hitt, M. A. 2016. How does regional institutional complexity affect MNE internationalization?. Journal of International Business Studies, 47(6): 697–722.
- Arregle, J. L., Batjargal, B., Hitt, M. A., Webb, J., & Miller, T. L, Tsui, A. 2015. Family ties in entrepreneurs’ social networks and new venture success. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, 39(2): 313–344.
- Triana, M., Miller, T. L, and Trzebiatowski, T. M. 2014. The double-edged nature of board gender diversity: Diversity, firm performance, and the power of women directors as predictors of strategic change. Organization Science, 25(2): 609-632.
- Batjargal, B., Tsui, A., Arregle, J. L., Hitt, M. A., Webb, J., & Miller, T. L. 2013. Institutional polycentrism, entrepreneurs’ social networks and new venture growth. Academy of Management Journal, 56: 1024-1049.
- Grimes, M., McMullen, J., Vogus, T., & Miller, T. L., 2013. Studying the origins of social entrepreneurship: compassion and the role of embedded agency. Academy of Management Review, 38: 460-463.
- Arregle, J. L., Miller, T. L., Beamish, P. W., Hitt, M. A. 2013. Do regions matter? An integrated institutional and semi-globalization perspective on the internationalization of MNEs. Strategic Management Journal, 34: 910–934.
- Miller, T. L., Wesley, C., & Williams, D. A. 2013. Educating the minds of caring hearts: Understanding social entrepreneurship competencies needed for practice and taught in the classroom. Academy of Management Learning & Education, 11: 349-370.
- Holmes, R. M., Miller, T. L., Hitt, M. A., & Salmador, M. P. 2013. The interrelationships among informal institutions, formal institutions, and inward foreign direct investment. Journal of Management, 39(2): 531-566.
- Miller, T. L., Grimes, M., McMullen, J., & Vogus, T. 2012. Venturing with heart and head: Compassionately creating value through social enterprise. Academy of Management Review, 37: 616-640.
- Connelly, B., Miller, T. L., & Devers, C. 2012. Trust, but verify: A model of individuated distrust and trust in interorganizational relationships. Strategic Management Journal, 33: 820-833.
- Miller, T. L., & Wesley, C. 2010. Assessing mission and resources for social change: An organizational identity perspective on social venture capitalists’ decision criteria. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, 34(4): 305–333.
- 2009 Best Paper Award – NYU Satter Conference on Social Entrepreneurship
- Miller, T. L., & Triana, M. 2009. Demographic diversity in the boardroom: Mediators of the board diversity-firm performance relationship. Journal of Management Studies, 46: 755–786.
- Certo, T. S., & Miller, T. L. 2008. Social entrepreneurship: Key issues and concepts. Business Horizons 51: 267–271.
- Hitt, M. A., Tihanyi, L., Miller, T. L., & Connelly, B. 2006. International diversification: Antecedents, moderators, and outcomes. Journal of Management, 32: 831–867.
- 2006 Journal of Management Best Paper of the Year Award
- Strategic Management
- Innovation Management
- Social Entrepreneurship