George Mason UniversitySchool of Business

George Mason University

Policies and Procedures

The School of Business strives to maintain policies and procedures that are consistent with those of the university, as well as in the best interest of our students.

If you have any questions concerning a particular policy or procedure, please contact the Office of Student Success and Academic Services, Room 008 of Enterprise Hall (703-993-1880) for clarification, or schedule an appointment to speak with an Academic Advisor.

  1. Add, Drop, and Course Withdrawal Policies

    All schedule adjustments must be made by the final add/drop date for the semester as noted in the Academic Calendar. Any changes past this deadline would need to be approved through a School of Business request. Please be aware that the timelines below are not applicable during the summer semester. The summer term is divided into several sessions, each with their own deadlines for registration. Please view the Academic Calendar for all registration deadlines.

    Late Add:

    The last day for adding a course is eight calendar days after and including the first day of classes. If you wish to add a class after this deadline:

    • For School of Business courses, students should complete the Enrollment Adjustment Form and attach a letter of explanation detailing why the registration did not occur during the regular schedule adjustment period. You will also need to submit an Academic Status Form, which requires the instructor’s signature and verification of attendance. All documentation must be submitted to Office of Academic and Career Services, Room 008 of Enterprise Hall, for the Assistant Dean’s review. 
    • Students wishing to late add a non-School of Business course in which seats are available should contact the department teaching the course.

    Dropping a Course:

    All dropped classes during the regular drop period will have no entry on the transcript for that semester. Once the drop period is over, Mason will enter the self-withdraw period where students will be able to self-withdraw through use of the Patriot Web system. Courses that are self-withdrawn from will have entry on the transcript and a W will be noted. This self-withdraw period will end when the selective-withdraw period begins. Please refer to the website for the Office of the Registrar for information on the dates and length for each of these time periods.  

    Selective Withdrawal:

    After the first five weeks of the academic semester, the University transitions to the selective withdrawal period. Undergraduate students enrolled in degree programs are eligible to withdraw (with full tuition liability) from a limited number of classes without Dean’s approval and at the student’s own discretion. Students may process a maximum of three such selective withdrawals during their entire undergraduate career at Mason. For more information or to begin the process, please click here.

    Non-Academic Withdrawal:

    To review the requirements and process to request a non-academic withdrawal, please click here.

  2. Applying for Graduation

    Graduation is not an automatic process. Students should apply to graduate no later than the application deadline each semester. You must be in good financial standing with the university to receive your diploma. Please note that if you have courses left to take in a summer term but are walking in the spring ceremony, you must apply for summer graduation. Learn more.

  3. Change of Final Exam

    If you need to change the date of your final exam for unusual circumstances or because you have three or more finals scheduled in one day, obtain the professor’s signature on the Change of Final Exam Request form and submit it to the Office of Student Success and Academic Services, Enterprise Hall, Room 008. This must be completed 2 weeks prior to the date of the final exam.

  4. Credit Limitation

    Enrolled undergraduate students who are not declared in a School of Business major are limited to 9 credits of upper-level business coursework within the School of Business. This policy applies to any student who is declared in another major or program at Mason. This policy does not apply to students who have declared a School of Business minor and are earning required credit toward that minor. 

  5. Credit Overload

    The School of Business recommends that undergraduate students attempt no more than 18 credits in an academic semester and no more than 14 credits in a summer term. Students wishing to attempt more than 18 credits must submit a Permission to Overload form to their academic advisor.

    To be eligible for a course overload, a student must fulfill all of the following criteria:

    • At least a 3.0 cumulative GPA at Mason
    • Have completed all courses successfully in his/her previous semester with no Fs or incompletes (IN)
    • Complete the Permission to Overload form and obtain an academic advisor’s signature

    Freshmen and transfer students in their first semesters are not given permission for overloads as they have yet to establish an academic record at George Mason University.

    If approved for an overload, the student is responsible for adding the additional class(es) and paying for the related tuition by the official university deadlines. 

  6. Declaration of Major

    If you are not currently in the School of Business and want to switch to a Business major:

    • New students without a Mason GPA are eligible to change their major before or during their first semester.
    • Current Mason students must have at least a 2.0 cumulative Mason GPA.
    Students who declare a business major and did not attend the School of Business College 101 and Academic Advising sessions during the in-person Mason Orientation are required to complete the School of Business Advising Online Orientation.  If the Online Orientation has not been completed by the last day to add a class for the semester, an Academic Advising hold will be placed on student records and will only be lifted once Online Orientation is completed.

    To access the School of Business Academic Advising Online Orientation, please email sbonline@gmu.edu from your Mason email account and include your name and G#, and further instructions will be provided. Non-Business majors can complete the Academic Advising Online Orientation if you are considering declaring a major within the School of Business in the future.

    To Declare or Change a Business major (or add a second major in Business):

    • Complete a Change/Declaration of Academic Program form
    • Visit the Office of Student Success and Academic Services (advising hours can be found here) to meet with an academic advisor who will provide information on major choices, required courses and advise you on appropriate classes for your next semester.
    • Submit the form to the Registrar's office.

    To change your major out of the School of Business:

    No longer pursuing a Business major? Check out the Business Minor. You may already have met some or all of the requirements.

    Want to delete part of your program? Find the form here

  7. Declaration of Minor


    • School of Business majors may minor in Business Analytics, International Business, or Entrepreneurship. 
    • Students with a non-Business major may minor in Business or Entrepreneurship.

    Process (applies to all minors)

    • Complete a Minor Declaration form
    • Visit the Office of Student Success and Academic Services (advising hours can be found here) to meet with an academic advisor who will provide information on required courses, provide the correct minor code necessary to complete the form, and (assuming your eligible) sign off.
    • Submit the signed form to the Registrar.

    Important Reminders
    For All Students:

    • Students must achieve a grade of C or higher in all minor courses.
    • At least 8 credits of coursework must be unique for the minor and not used to fulfill other major, concentration or minor requirements. 
    • Students may apply a maximum of 6 transfer credits toward any School of Business minor.

    For Students in the Business Minor:

    • Students who have already completed relevant School of Business foundation or core course(s) shall substitute courses as follows and cannot receive credit for the equivalent MBUS course:
      • ACCT 203 for MBUS 300
      • FNAN 301 or FNAN 303 for MBUS 308
      • MGMT 303 for MBUS 301
      • MIS 301 or MIS 303 for MBUS 302
      • MKTG 301 or MKTG 303 for MBUS 303
      • OM 301 or OM 303 for MBUS 306
    • IMPORTANT: MBUS courses may not be used as substitutions for prerequisites needed for upper-level School of Business courses (e.g., MBUS 301 cannot serve as a substitution for MGMT 301/303, which is a prerequisite for upper-level MGMT courses).
  8. Degree Evaluation

    The School of Business utilizes Degree Works as our degree auditing software. Be advised, that the School REQUIRES students to understand how to read and utilize this system.

    It is recommended that students utilize the tutorial on the Registrar’s website.

  9. Embassy Letter Request

    For a student needing a letter to submit to their embassy, please complete and submit the Embassy Letter Request Form. Please make sure to complete this request form in its entirety to ensure receipt of an accurate and timely letter. The request form can be found here. Please note the following:

    • A new FERPA form must be completed and submitted with the request form for the party receiving the letter.
    • Exact and all details for the letter, including the party receiving the letter, must be included in the request form. Letters will not be able to be written from incomplete forms. 
    • If an expected graduation date is needed, an advisor meeting is required.
    • Please allow 5-8 business days for processing of the letter. These letters cannot be proccessed same day
    • Once the letter is complete and ready for pick-up at the front desk of Enterprise Hall suite 008, an email will be sent to the student’s Mason-live account. Please ensure to have your Mason ID when picking up the letter. 
  10. FERPA

    The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 is a federal law that gives protection to student educational records and provides students with certain rights.

    • For anyone at George Mason to communicate with a third party (including but not limited to parents, guardians, siblings, etc), the student must grant permission by completing a FERPA document.
    • Please note, due to FERPA, students must communicate with the university through their official Masonlive email account.
  11. Force Add

    The School of Business does not force add students into full sections of courses. Students must add themselves to waitlists and watch course availability on Patriot Web.

    If you are a graduating senior and meet the below eligibility requirements, you are able to submit a request for a force add. Force adds are not guaranteed and are dependent on space in the classroom. To request a force add you must:

    • Have an active graduation application on file for the term the force add is requested
    • Meet all other graduation/eligibility requirements 
    • ALL sections of the course are closed 
    • Submit your request for a force add to busreqst@gmu.edu

    Please keep in mind this is not guaranteed. Requests due to work or other conflicts are not acceptable reasons for a force add and force add requests are only considered starting the first day of class until the last day to add a course. Dates for the first day of class and last day to add a course can be found on the university academic calendar

  12. Grade Appeals

    You should first contact your professor to discuss the grade. If you are unable to resolve the issue with the professor, please contact the Area Chair responsible for the class. The Area Chair can explain next steps in the appeal process. If you are unable to identify which area is responsible for your class, please contact the School of Business Office of Student Success and Academic Services (703-993-1880).

    The School of Business Office of Student Success and Academic Services does not have the ability to change or appeal grades. The above process needs to be followed to appeal a grade. 

    Please note that the School of Business handles grade appeals only for those classes taught by School of Business professors. If the course in question is taught by another department, you should contact that department for their grade appeal procedure. Also, please note that you may request that the School of Business Office of Student Success and Academic Services delay imposing an academic suspension if the results of a pending grade appeal could change your academic status. An approved delay allows you to register while the appeal is in process. See Catalog Academic Policy AP.3.9.1.

  13. Independent Study

    To register for an independent study (a 499 course in ACCT, FNAN, MGMT, MIS, MKTG or OM), you need to create a proposal describing what you will read, learn, and produce during this course. You also need to obtain a faculty sponsor for the course. If a faculty member agrees to be a sponsor, you need to submit the proposal signed by your faculty sponsor to the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs in Enterprise Hall, Room 008. If the proposal is approved, the Associate Dean will authorize your registration in the course. For more details click here.

  14. Laptop Policy

    The School of Business undergraduate program requires each student to have access to a portable computing device that satisfies the requirements listed below and can be brought to class as needed. Note that as technology changes rapidly, these requirements may change during a student’s time in the School of Business.

    Many School of Business courses require the use of a computer during class. These are used to learn techniques, practice applications, and access Internet resources. While most students have a portable computer or access to one, some courses require specific requirements due to the use of specific applications during class. To address these requirements, a list of standard minimum requirements (Updated 4/20/2020) has been determined and will be reviewed annually.

  15. Permission to Take Classes While on Suspension

    Taking time off due to a suspension is in the best interest of a student. Students are not allowed to take classes at any other institution and transfer them back to Mason for credit while on suspension (per AP.1.4.2 Permission to Study Elsewhere, which requires good academic standing).  If there are documented extenuating circumstances that affected a student’s academic performance, the student can submit an appeal to take classes while on suspension. 

    To request permission to take classes while on suspension, students must send a detailed letter and any supporting documentation as to why they should be able to take Mason classes while suspended to busreqst@gmu.edu. If approved, students will need to meet with a designated academic advisor twice during the course of their approved semester, including once before the class drop deadline. Students will also need to abide by any other restrictions established, which will be detailed to them if approved. Please note that permission to take classes while on suspension is rarely approved.

  16. Prerequisites

    The School of Business curriculum is designed to enable students to develop a fundamental knowledge in each foundational section before advancing to the subsequent courses. As such, students will not be permitted to enroll concurrently in (co-req) courses that require a prerequisite. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all prerequisites are met prior to registering for a course.

  17. Recommended Honor Code Sanctions for Business Courses

    Student members of the George Mason University community pledge not to cheat, plagiarize, steal, or lie in matters related to academic work. Violations of the honor code are taken seriously. View the recommended Honor Code Sanctions for business courses.

  18. Return To Success program

    The Return To Success (RTS) program is a mandatory intervention program to be completed by any student returning from an academic suspension. This program is designed to directly assist students in their return to academics and provide them support to reach their success. This program is comprised of two parts: an online module that students complete while away and then a three meeting series during the semester they return.  Through the entirety of the program, students are connected with a designated advisor that assists in reviewing a student's standing and creating a success plan for their return. The online module and all three meetings are required to be completed before the student can be finished with the program. Students will receive communication about the program and the required materials to be completed via email to their masonlive email address. For questions about this program, please contact rtsbus@gmu.edu.

  19. Study Elsewhere

    Students are permitted to take courses elsewhere under unusual circumstances—these circumstances do not include scheduling convenience, commuting convenience, or financial (lower cost) reasons. Study elsewhere is meant to be completed when courses are unavailable at Mason. When seeking to enroll in credit courses at another collegiate institution concurrently, students enrolled at George Mason must submit a written request and receive pre-approval before taking the course or they may not receive transfer credit for course work taken at another institution (this rule also applies to courses taken through the consortium). For the form and more information please follow: Request to Take Courses Elsewhere. Submit this form and documentation to the Office of Student Success and Academic Services, Room 008 of Enterprise Hall.

    Important Notes

    • The department offering the course must approve a study elsewhere request. First have an advisor sign the study elsewhere form. This form will then be submitted first to the Assistant Dean of the School of Business and then sent to the college offering the course for final approval (Ex: MATH 108, SBUS advisor would sign, then reviewed by SBUS Assistant Dean, then brought to the College of Science for approval, advisor’s signature does NOT mean it is approved).
    • Written permission from the department offering the course needed to transfer courses back to Mason.
    • Cannot be granted based on convenience or expense.
    • Students are limited in the number of credit hours within School of Business disciplines that they are able to take from another institution: 9 credit hours for undergraduates or 6 credit hours for graduates (not including registration through the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metro Area or course work completed through the Center for Global Education). 
    • Courses that are attempted at a two-year institution may not be used to fulfill upper-level requirements.
    • Any course to transfer to fulfill major or graduate-level course requirements must be attempted at an institution accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
    • Deadlines:

    o August 1st-Fall Semester
    o January 2nd- Spring Semester
    o May 1st- Summer Semester

  20. Termination from School of Business Policy

    Students have three opportunities to take School of Business Core classes. If a student does not successfully complete a core class in three attempts with a grade of C or higher, they are terminated from the School of Business. Please keep in mind that the most recent attempt is what counts. When students try to register for their third attempt, they will receive a registration error stating “Repeat hours exceeded 6”. To avoid this error, please visit your School of Business Academic Advisor before registering for your third attempt to review the course and receive an override to register for your third and final attempt.

    The accounting major is the only major with a three attempt policy specifically for the major. Students in the accounting major have three attempts to successfully pass accounting major classes with a grade of C or higher or they are terminated from the accounting major. Accounting students terminated from the accounting major are able to select a different business major.

    For more information about these policies, please click here

  21. Transfer Credits
    • Transfer credit is not awarded for any School of Business courses completed more than ten years prior to Mason enrollment or re-enrollment.
    • If you have taken a course that does not appear on your transfer evaluation, you need to complete the Transfer Credit Inquiry form.  Submit the completed form to the Enrollment Central Desk, SUB I, lower level.
    • All Virginia Community College System (VCCS) courses have been evaluated for transfer equivalents here at Mason. VCCS courses cannot be re-evaluated for different course credit.
    • Community College courses are not considered equivalent to Mason business courses with numbers of 300 and above and are not awarded transfer equivalency.
    • Courses completed at a lower-level (100-200) will not be awarded upper-level credit.
    • For students who have taken courses at colleges or universities outside of the Virginia Community College System: If you have taken a course which you think is equivalent to a Mason course, but it shows up differently on your transfer credit evaluation, you may request a re-evaluation of this course. Submit the Transfer Credit Re-evaluation Appeal Form.
    • Special Note: Transfer students have additional options for meeting the Western Civilization general education requirement. Please check your degree evaluation to determine if your previous western civilization coursework has been applied. If not, follow the transfer credit re-evaluation appeal process outlined above.
    • Mason's Office of Admissions has provided some course equivalency information online. This is not a complete list for all schools.
    • For all re-evaluations:
      • All re-evaluations must be completed during your first academic year at Mason.
      • Carefully read the description in the Mason catalog to make certain it is equivalent to the course you want re-evaluated.
      • You must have an official description of the course or the syllabus. This description needs to be on the other institution’s letterhead, out of their catalog or on their official website. Do not submit a textbook without the official syllabus for the course.
      • If the course you want re-evaluated is not a School of Business course, you will need to meet with the department where the course is taught for them to determine if the course is the equivalent. There is a place for their signature on the Re-evaluation form. The form must be returned by the department to the Office of Admissions to complete the re-evaluation process.
      • For School of Business courses, please submit the re-evalution form and the required course documents to the Office of Student Success and Academic Services, Enterprise Hall, Room 008.
      • Students may only receive major course credit for courses taken at schools with AACSB and/or EQUIS accreditation
      • Note: It will take approximately 2-3 weeks to process the request.
      • Only courses passed with a grade of C or better will transfer.
  22. Waitlist Procedure

    Students are able to add themselves to a waitlist for closed courses. Please check the registrar’s website for the university waitlist instructions.