Chief Data Officer
Offered in Partnership with the Mason DataLab
“The CDO is the most senior executive who leads the data vision, mission, and culture across the organization. The CDO is responsible for a firm’s data as an asset, with responsibilities including data governance, data strategy, data quality, data analytics, and data monetization.” - International Society of Chief Data Officers
Participants who complete the five-month program will be prepared to effectively execute the responsibilities of the chief data officer role, advance the data management agenda, and add significant value to the organization. Network with faculty, subject matter experts, and other participants.
Dates: October 19, 2021 – March 3, 2022
Delivery: Hybrid - online and in-person at Mason Arlington Campus
Who Should Attend?
The ideal candidate has...
- Four to six years of experience in middle to upper management with demonstrated organizational leadership experience.
- Working knowledge of data management tools and experience implementing data management practices.
- Solid communications skills.
- An undergraduate degree or equivalent experience.
Graduates of the CDO Program are able to:
- Establish and lead the data organization’s data activities as a strategic and aligned business partner.
- Develop, in concert with senior leadership, a comprehensive strategic data plan with a mission, vision, and specific, measurable goals that are fully aligned with the organization.
- Effectively and efficiently execute the strategic data plan.
- Build the necessary infrastructure to integrate data practices into the business.
- Create and sustain an enabling data-focused ecosystem with conditions to encourage a culture of data-driven understanding and decision making, innovations for data management applications, and value creation.
- Engage the organization’s leadership team in support of data initiatives at the enterprise level.
- Lead innovation and change activities by fully leveraging the data asset of the organization.
Participants who complete the program will be given a Credly Chief Data Officer Executive Certificate badge.
Constructs of Knowledge
- Growth and Impact of Data
- Leadership and Culture
- Transforming the Organization
- Strategic Mindset for the CDO
- Business and Financial Acumen
Mike Fleckenstein, Chief Data Strategist at MITRE, CDO ‘19
“Mason's Chief Data Officer Program brings together data management leaders and thinkers from around the country and the world. This fosters a highly productive dialogue and is a valuable tool for carrying forward effective data management. We were so convinced of the program’s value that we are now collaborating in its teaching.”