Acquisition Next, the central theme for the conference, focused on the need to replace the industrial age acquisition paradigm of linearity and prediction with digital age approaches of modularity, speed, iteration, and competition.
Speakers included senior officials from government, business, and academia. The conference fireside chats and panels explored the Acquisition Next approach in
- Bridging the valley of death from technology development to production
- Spurring small business innovation,
- Implementing concepts such as Joint All-Domain Command and Control (JADC2)
- Reforming the budget process, and
- Institutionalizing workforce innovation.
Dr. William A. LaPlante
Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition and Sustainment
Vice-Chair, PPBE Reform Commission
Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering
Visiting Scholar, Hoover Institution, Stanford University
CONFERENCE SESSIONS & VIDEO LINKS
- Welcome to Acquisition Next
- Workforce Next
- What's Next for Small Business Innovation?
- PPBE Reform - How Does Money Impact Tech Transition
- Fireside Chat: Research and Development in an Era of Integrated Deterrence
- Fireside Chat: Bridging the Valley of Death
Each session link includes a list of speakers and the session description.
- Center Report: Execution Flexibility and Bridging the Valley of Death: An Acquisition Next Report
- Center White Paper: Pathways to Defense Budget Reform
- GovConWire: GovCon Expert Emily Murphy: SBA’s Proposed Changes to Ostensible Subcontractor Rule
- Defense News: Congress must act on Small Biz Innovation Research reauthorization, Emily Murphy
- Center Report: Acquisition Next: A Playbook to Break the Industrial Age Paradigm
- GAUGE 2022 Report
- LaPlante: Time to Prioritize Defense Production, Sean Carberry, National Defense, November 16, 2022
- LaPlante pokes Silicon Valley ‘tech bros,’ calls for increased munitions production for Ukraine, Valerie Insinna, Breaking Defense, November 8, 2022
- Congress poised to back multiyear weapons purchases, LaPlante says, Joe Gould, Defense News, November 7, 2022
- Pentagon, Congress have trust issues, budget reform panel’s Lord says, Courtney Albon, Defense News, November 4, 2022