George Mason UniversitySchool of Business

Bachelor's/Accelerated Master's Program (BAM) in Accounting

The School of Business offers Bachelor's/Accelerated master's programs to academically strong undergraduates currently enrolled at George Mason University with an interest in pursuing a master's degree in an accelerated time frame. Participation in this program enables students to start taking graduate courses while they are in undergraduate status and decreases the number of credits required during graduate status.

  • Graduate courses taken during your senior year are charged at the undergraduate tuition rate, so you save both time and money on your education. 
  • 3-6 credits can count toward your master’s and your bachelor’s (advanced standing).
  • Up to 6 additional credits can be taken as reserve credit (only count towards the master’s).
  • Build time into your schedule to complete an internship and improve your employment options.
  • Complete the master’s program in 11 months following your bachelor’s degree as a part-time or full-time student, online or in-person.
  • Preference is given for scholarships and graduate teaching assistantships
  1. 1. BAM Admission Eligibility and Requirements

    Students may formally apply for the Bachelor's/Accelerated Master’s program after they have earned at least 60 credits and are required to have GPA of 3.0 or above.

    BAM applicants must be pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Business with a concentration in accounting. In addition, students must complete ACCT 303 with a grade of C or better prior to (or concurrent with) application. 

  2. 2. Application Procedure

    Interested students will need to complete an online application to be considered for the Bachelor’s/Accelerated Master’s program. Application deadlines are November 1 for Spring admission and June 30 for Fall admission.

    • Go to our online application
    • Sign up for an account
    • Once set up, click the “Start A New Application” button
    • You will need to select the “Start Application” button under the “Degree-Seeking and Accelerated Masters” section. 
    • A set of questions will appear 
    • What level are you applying? Please select “4 – Accelerated Masters (for Mason Undergraduate Students Only)”
    • What campus are you applying for? Please select “On-Campus”
    • What degree-seeking program are you applying for? Please select “Accounting – MS”
    • Term: Select the term you will start your graduate degree. This should be the term after your undergraduate degree is awarded.
    • Once you answer all the appropriate fields, the bachelor's accelerated master's form will appear. Please complete that form and submit it. 

    You will be notified via e-mail when a decision has been made. The name of your graduate advisor will be provided in this correspondence. Please check your application portal for updates on your application status. 

  3. 3. Course Registration
    Approved Bachelor's/Accelerated Master’s students will be allowed to register for graduate courses via PatriotWeb after at least 75 undergraduate degree credits have been earned. Course-specific prerequisites must be met.

    The following courses have been approved for the Bachelor’s/Accelerated Master’s in Accounting program:

    Advanced Standing courses (up to 12 credits; grade of B or better required):

    • ACCT 611: Advanced Managerial Accounting  (prerequisite ACCT 311)
    • ACCT 630: Advanced Financial Accounting (prerequisite ACCT 332)
    • ACCT 670: International Accounting (prerequisite ACCT 303*)

    Reserve Credit courses (up to 6 credits):

    • ACCT 621: GovCon Acquisition Regulations & Reporting
    • ACCT 636: Fraud Examination (prerequisite ACCT 303*)
    • ACCT 665: Advanced Accounting Analytics (Prerequisite ACCT 361)
    • ACCT 671: Managing Data Quality and Integrity (prerequisite ACCT 361)
    • ACCT 672: Governmental and Nonprofit Accounting (prerequisite ACCT 331)

    Other courses may be approved for advanced standing with departmental permission.

    *Prior to AY 20-21, ACCT 303 was numbered ACCT 330. These courses are equivalent.

    For more detailed information on coursework and timeline requirements, see AP.6.7 Bachelor's/Accelerated Master's Degree policies in the GMU Catalog.

  4. 4. Graduate Program Admission Requirements

    Formal acceptance in the Master’s in Accounting program occurs in the last semester of the bachelor’s degree after completion of the Bachelor’s/Accelerated Master’s Transition form. Students participating in the BAM pathway will be formally admitted to the MS in Accounting program if they have met the following criteria:

    • Overall GPA of 3.0
    • Grades of C or above (on the first attempt) in all accounting major courses. Students with an accounting grade below a C may transition to the MSA only with approval from the Program Director.
    • 3 credits of as advanced standing with a grade of B or better from one graduate level ACCT courses listed in the MSAccel Pathway Courses section above.
    • Successfully meeting Mason’s requirements for undergraduate degree conferral (graduation) and completing the application for graduation.