Resumes and Cover Letters
The purpose of a resume is to market your skills and get an interview. Resumes alone will not get you the job in most cases. A resume is a truthful and completely accurate account of your qualifications, including your previous experience and education.
Cover Letters generally accompany a resume as an additional tool to express your interest in a company and sell your qualifications for a particular job. An effective Cover Letter should introduce you and your resume, summarize pertinent aspects of your education and experience, state how your qualifications relate to the job/company, and be brief and to the point.
Get Your Resume or Cover Letter Reviewed
The School of Business Office of Career Services can help you ensure that your resume and cover letter are formatted to give you the best chance in your job search. We offer three methods of review: by appointment, walk-in, or our Resume Drop-off Box, located in Enterprise Hall 042.
To use the Resume Drop-Off Box, print a copy of your resume and/or cover letter, and place it in the orange folder at the front to the Drop-off Box. An advisor will review your resume or cover letter, making notes and revisions. Your reviewed document will be placed in the alphabetized folders in the back of the Drop-Off Box by last name, where you can pick it up. Resumes and Cover Letters reviewed through the Resume Drop-off Box are usually complete in 3-5 business days.
Walk-In resume reviews last 15 minutes, and are on a first-come, first-served basis during our walk-in hours. Please Note: Walk-in Hours are temporarily suspended to maintain social distancing for the safety of students and staff.
Monday: 2pm-4pm & 5pm-8pm
Thursday: 10am - 12pm
Friday: 10am - 12pm
Reviewing your resume in a one-on-one 30 minute appointment offers you the opportunity to get individualized attention for your resume or cover letter.
Alumni should contact our office directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-993-2140 to schedule an appointment.
Current undergraduate students, go to Navigate Mason at https://gmu.campus.eab.com/.
- Access Navigate Mason at https://gmu.campus.eab.com/
- Enter your Mason NetID and password. Select login.
- Select the "Get Assistance" button in the top right corner.
- When prompted to answer “What type of appointment would you like to set up?” select “Academic Advising.”
- In the “Service” drop down menu, scroll down until you see “School of Business Office of Career Services.”
- Pick an appointment type from the list of services under our office.
- Click “Find an available time” and choose a date and time from our available appointments.
- Make sure you include your preferred contact information (Zoom Meeting ID, phone number, etc.), as well as a brief description of what you want to talk about during the appointment in the comments.
- Email any relevant documents (resume, cover letter, job description, etc.) to email@example.com with your name and G# in the subject line.