- Master of Science in the Management of Information Technology, McIntire School of Commerce, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Far Eastern University, Manila, Philippines
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate
- AWS Certified Cloud Practicioner
- Information Technology Infrastructure Library Foundation (ITIL) Certified
Professor Yan has over 15 years of experience in audit and consulting, particularly in information systems audit, leveraging data analytics, regulatory compliance, IT transformation, and system implementation audit. He has served various industries from financial services, insurance, secondary mortgage, federal government and utilities.
He has led and managed diverse teams in conducting successful audits of cloud infrastructure, servers, databases, Security Information and Event Management (SIEM), virtual machines, and wireless networks. He has used NIST, STIGs, and CIS to help companies secure their IT environment using the latest configuration settings.
He specializes in audits on emerging technologies including APIs, DevOps, digital technology, mobile device, cloud administration, and cyber risk management. He currently works in risk advisory services at DHG LLP. Prior to this, he worked in Ernst & Young LLP, providing technology consulting services.
An advocate of youth empowerment and leadership, Professor Yan has mentored elementary and high school students through the non-profit organization Youth Leadership Foundation based in Washington, DC since 2005.