Office Location: 9900 Main Street 207 and Enterprise Hall 175
Office Hours: By appointment
Tarun Kushwaha is a professor of marketing in the Costello College of Business at George Mason University. Tarun works in the area of customer relationship management (CRM), international marketing, market failures, and marketing-operations interface. His research speaks to the important changes happening in the retail, financial services, automotive, and high-technology industries.
His research has been published in Management Science, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Marketing, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, Production and Operations Management, Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of Retailing among other outlets. He serves on the editorial board of Journal of Marketing and Journal of Interactive Marketing.
He has received research funding from various entities such as Obama-Singh Grant, CIBER Grants, FQRSC Grant, Marketing Science Institute, and DMEF Foundation. In addition, he has worked on research partnerships with several Fortune 500 firms.
He is interested in teaching the use of quantitative and analytical tools for decision making, especially in topics as marketing engineering, marketing analytics, data analytics, marketing research and CRM. He has won several top accolades for his teaching across undergraduates, MBA, and Ph.D. He has taught extensively in executive education programs for one of the largest oil & gas firms, multinational insurer, US DoD, and open enrollment programs.
- Empirical Marketing Strategy
- Methodological Domain
- Mays Business School, Texas A&M University
- Doctor of Philosophy, Marketing, 2007
- Master of Science, Marketing, 2002
- Institute of Management, Nirma University, India
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management (MBA), Marketing, 1998
- St. Xavier’s College, India
- Bachelor of Science, Physics (Minor: Mathematics), 1996
Research and Awards
- Finalist, Mary Kay Best Dissertation Award from AMS (As Advisor of Koushyar Rajavi)
- Winner, Best Paper Inter-organizational Track, Summer AMA, 2015
- Finalist, Best Paper Institute for Supply Chain, Academy of Management, 2015
- Finalist, Lehmann Award for the Best Dissertation Based Paper, 2015
- Dean’s Award for Outstanding Research by Ph.D. Student, Texas A&M University, 2006
- Student Research Week Award, Business Division, Texas A&M University, 2006
- Levy and Weitz Dissertation Proposal Competition, Honorable Mention, 2005
- eBRC Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Competition, Finalist, 2005
- Research Excellence Award, Department of Marketing, Texas A&M University, 2005
- Direct Marketing Education Foundation Doctoral Fellowship, 2004
- Top 10% Core MBA Faculty, University of North Carolina, 2018, 2019
- Best Faculty Award, Evening MBA, University of North Carolina, 2016
- Weatherspoon Award for Excellence in MBA Teaching, University of North Carolina, 2013
- MBA All Star Teacher, University of North Carolina, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Dean’s Award for Outstanding Teaching by Ph.D. Student, Texas A&M University, 2007
- Board of Regent’s Fellowship, Texas A&M University, 2002-2006
- Department Scholarship, Texas A&M University, 2002-2007
- Gold Medalist, Post Graduate Diploma in Management (Marketing), India
Invited Boards, Consortiums, and Symposiums
- Marketing Strategy Consortium, Indiana University 2019
- Distinguished Former Doctoral Student Meet, Texas A&M University, 2019
- Customer Advisory Board, SAS JMP, 2015-2016
- AMA Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 2006
- 36th Annual Haring Symposium Fellow, Indiana University, 2006
- ISMS Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 2005
- 23rd Annual University of Houston Doctoral Symposium Fellow, 2005
Peer Reviewed Publications
- “Brand Equity in Good and Bad Times: What Distinguishes Winners from Losers in CPG Industries?”, (with Koushyar Rajavi and J.B. Steenkamp), Journal of Marketing, Forthcoming.
- “Omnichannel Marketing: Are Cross-Channel Effects Symmetric?,” (with Venkatesh Shankar), International Journal of Research in Marketing, 38(2), 290-310.
- "Retailer Marketing Communications in the Digital Age: Getting the Right Message to the Right Shopper at the Right Time," (with Daniel Villanova, Anand V. Bodapati, Nancy M. Puccinelli, Michael Tsiros, Ronald Goodstein, Rajneesh Suri, Henry Hoh, Renee Brandon, Cheryl Hatfield), Journal of Retailing, 97(1), 116-132.
- “Field Experiment on the Profit Implications of Merchants’ Discretionary Power to Override Data-Driven Decision-Making Tools,” (with Saravanan Kesavan), Management Science, 66(11), 5182-90.
- “Marketing Agility: Conceptualization, Research Propositions, and a Research Agenda,” (with Kartik Kalaignanam, Kapil Tuli, Leonard Lee, and David Gal), Journal of Marketing (Invited Article in MSI Scholars Special Issue), 85(1), 35-58.
- “In Brands We Trust? A Multicategory, Multicountry Investigation of Sensitivity of Consumers’ Trust in Brands to Marketing-Mix Activities,” (with Koushyar Rajavi and J.B. Steenkamp), Journal of Consumer Research, 46(4), 651-670.
- “Psychic Distance and Performance of MNCs during Marketing Crises”, (Isaac Dinner and J.B. Steenkamp), Journal of International Business Studies, 50(3), 339-364.
- Media Coverage: UNC Kenan-Flagler News
- “How Does Web Personalization Create Value for Online Retailers? Lower Cash Flow Volatility or Enhanced Cash Flows,” (Kartik Kalaignanam and Koushyar Rajavi), Journal of Retailing, 94(3), 265-279.
- “The Differential Impact of NPD Make/Buy Choices on Immediate and Future Product Quality: Insights from the Automobile Industry”, (with Kartik Kalaignanam and Tracey Swartz) Journal of Marketing, 81(6), 1-23.
- “The Product Quality Impact of Aligning Buyer-Supplier Network Structure and Product Architecture: An Empirical Investigation in the Automobile Industry”, (with Kartik Kalaignanam and Anand Nair), Customer Needs and Solutions, 4(1-3), 1-17.
- “Do High- and Low-Inventory Turnover Retailers Respond Differently to Demand Shocks?”, (with Saravanan Kesavan and Vishal Gaur), Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 18(2), 216-226.
- “Marketing Communication Strategies and Consumer Financial Decision Making: Role of National Culture”, (with Andrew Petersen and V. Kumar), Journal of Marketing, 79(1), 44-63.
- “Differences in Retail Inventory Investment Behavior during Macroeconomic Shocks: Role of Service Level”, (with Saravanan Kesavan), Production & Operations Management, 23(12), 118–2136.
- “Are Multichannel Customers Really More Valuable?: The Moderating Role of Product Category Characteristics”, (with Venkatesh Shankar), Journal of Marketing, 77(4), 67-85.
- “The Impact of Product Recalls on Future Product Reliability and Future Accidents: Evidence from Automobile Industry”, (with Kartik Kalaignanam and Meike Eilert), Journal of Marketing, 77(2), 41-57.
- “The Effect of CRM Outsourcing on Shareholder Value: A Contingency Perspective”, (with Kartik Kalaignanam, J.B. Steenkamp, and Kapil Tuli), Management Science, 59(3), 748-769.
- “Crafting Integrated Multichannel Strategies”, (with Jie Zhang, Paul Farris, John Irvin, Thomas Steenburgh, and Bart Weitz), Journal of Interactive Marketing, 24(2), 168-180.
- “Marketing Operations Efficiency and the Internet: An Organizing Framework”, (with Kartik Kalaignanam and P. Rajan Varadarajan), Journal of Business Research, 61(4) 300-308.
- "New Product Preannouncements and Shareholder Value: Don't Make Promises You Can't Keep", (with Alina Sorescu and Venkatesh Shankar), Journal of Marketing Research, 44(3), 468-489.
- September 14, 2022 - Phys.org
Strategic brand factors that moderate the impact of business cycles on brand equity
- April 14, 2022 - WalletHub
Best Car Insurance Companies
- September 28, 2021 - CMSWire
How Much Customer Data Should You Collect? Sometimes Less Is More
- August 27, 2021 - WalletHub
2021 Progressive Insurance Review
- March 31, 2021 - The Guardian
Delta and Coca-Cola Pivot on Georgia’s Restrictive Voting Law: 'It's Unacceptable'
- February 3, 2021 - USA Today
'Walking the Tightrope': Super Bowl Advertisers Try to Strike Right Tone After Tumultuous 2020
- Shankar, Venkatesh and Tarun Kushwaha (2020), “Omnichannel Marketing: Are Cross-Channel Effects Symmetric?,” International Journal of Research in Marketing, Forthcoming.
- Kesavan, Saravanan and Tarun Kushwaha (2020), “Field Experiment on the Profit Implications of Merchants’ Discretionary Power to Override Data-Driven Decision-Making Tools,” Management Science, 66(11), 5182-90.
- Kalaignanam, Kartik, Kapil Tuli, Tarun Kushwaha, Leonard Lee, and David Gal (2020), “Marketing Agility: Conceptualization, Research Propositions, and a Research Agenda,” Journal of Marketing, 85(1), 35-58.